Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT Fire at night - no modifier?
11-14-2013, 07:07 AM,
RE: AT Fire at night - no modifier?
(11-14-2013, 06:42 AM)vulcan558 Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 06:24 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Rich,

You are correct, no AT mod for night. You would think that there would be some negative effect on trying to hit something. I have not seen any house rules on this.

If you have some thoughts on this now is the time to speak up as there are rules revisions being done.

My only thought was that it seemed a bit absurd - surely it's harder to spot and hit a tank in the dark than in daylight? And in terms of game mechanics, it's inconsistent - other non-assault fire suffers a modifier, so shouldn't AT fire as well? I would have a -1 DRM on AT fire on night turns.

More controversially, should Armour Efficiency apply at night? It reflects superior training of tank crews, but I'm not aware of any of the relevant combatants conducting extensive night-fighting training or making combat at night a key part of their doctrine. There were large scale night ops by armour (Operation Totalize springs to mind), but in that case, part of the point of advancing by night was to avoid a major engagement with enemy armour. I'm also aware that the Germans had IR night-fighting kit, but I believe this was too little and too late to have a massive impact? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, it's just something that came to mind while thinking about the AT Fire DRM.

I would agree with having the mods consistent with the the DF/BF mods and seems plausible to reduce the effectiveness of the fire. As for the efficiency, this might a bit trickery as there would probably need to be some sort of reduction for non-efficient AFV's otherwise it becomes a one-sided modifier.

Messages In This Thread
AT Fire at night - no modifier? - by vulcan558 - 11-14-2013, 06:14 AM
RE: AT Fire at night - no modifier? - by campsawyer - 11-14-2013, 07:07 AM
RE: AT Fire at night - no modifier? - by zaarin7 - 11-15-2013, 05:13 AM