Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something for the doubters
12-28-2013, 01:38 AM,
RE: Something for the doubters
Yes, in point of fact, they are. I hadn't really thought of that. They would look funny in the stack. Moved/Fired might be ok. I made my own admin counters (much better if I do say so myself). I think about all use of the original set are the mine, wire & entrenchment counters.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-30-2013, 03:23 AM,
(12-28-2013, 01:38 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Yes, in point of fact, they are. I hadn't really thought of that. They would look funny in the stack. Moved/Fired might be ok. I made my own admin counters (much better if I do say so myself). I think about all use of the original set are the mine, wire & entrenchment counters.

And now I want to see your homemade admin counters!

With the new extra-thick counters, I wonder if there's a better way to do the admin function. Since laser cut pieces can be any shape, is there now a better way to mark units without generating skyscrapers?
12-30-2013, 03:46 AM,
I'm on my second scenario with the ultra-thicks involving some massive urban fighting. I find, to my shock and astonishment, that these stacks, although gargantuan in comparison to traditional thickness counters, stay upright much better and resist slipping and sliding due to the texture of the counters themselves. In sum, they don't fall over anywhere nearly as often as the regular thickness counters, which often rival frictionless surfaces.

I was certain that the play experience would suffer given the thickness, and I have been very, very wrong; something for which I am grateful!
No "minor" country left behind...
12-30-2013, 04:53 AM,
All my admin counters have made an appearance in the DYI section:
Moved-Fired/Op Fire
Spotted/Smoke
Digging In/Dug In
Disrupted/Demoralized
Assault hex markers

To further complicate things, we will play Double-Blind, when the scenario isn't overly large and there are lots of places to hide. When there are aren't too many places to hide and the scenario isn't "huge", we play with named leaders. (We are actually doing that now in PoE12.) Let me know if you want those counters.

I think that if AP went back to high-density 1mm cardstock, but kept the new counter texture, they would have things about right. A lighter shade would help too.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-30-2013, 08:01 AM,
Peter,

Lovely looking Moved Fired counters and the final dug-in counter too.

When I play, I use the 'red' moved/fired for allies and blue moved/fired for axis. In bigger scenarios, I find that quite helpful as the 'battle-lines' can still be seen even after they have all M/F'd.

Again, lovely pics on those counters !
12-30-2013, 09:05 AM,
(12-30-2013, 03:46 AM)Matt W Wrote: I'm on my second scenario with the ultra-thicks involving some massive urban fighting. I find, to my shock and astonishment, that these stacks, although gargantuan in comparison to traditional thickness counters, stay upright much better and resist slipping and sliding due to the texture of the counters themselves. In sum, they don't fall over anywhere nearly as often as the regular thickness counters, which often rival frictionless surfaces.

I was certain that the play experience would suffer given the thickness, and I have been very, very wrong; something for which I am grateful!

I would agree with Matt on the stability of the square extra thick counters, although when they do fall they don't tend to take out the other stacks. A bit of a difference from the long ship counter version.

As for Liberation, I was a bit disappointed with the scenario I played. It seemed to easy for the British to win. One out of two conditions gets them a Minor victory, but it was hard for the Germans to cover both conditions with the small amount of men. But I guess this is what it was like in the early hours after the D-Day landings. I am also not sure about the usefulness of attacking units having hidden units. But I will try another to see.
12-30-2013, 01:34 PM,
Quote:When I play, I use the 'red' moved/fired for allies and blue moved/fired for axis.

I kind of like that idea Vince, Maybe I'll do something with it. I already have red & blue OP counters. I am a little concerned about the contrast issues that would develop with orange letters on red counts. I'm shur the solution would not be too difficult.
12-31-2013, 01:06 AM,
(12-30-2013, 03:46 AM)Matt W Wrote: I'm on my second scenario with the ultra-thicks involving some massive urban fighting. I find, to my shock and astonishment, that these stacks, although gargantuan in comparison to traditional thickness counters, stay upright much better and resist slipping and sliding due to the texture of the counters themselves. In sum, they don't fall over anywhere nearly as often as the regular thickness counters, which often rival frictionless surfaces.

Cool, same here. I like the new counters
12-31-2013, 01:36 AM,
(12-30-2013, 04:53 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: All my admin counters have made an appearance in the DYI section:
Moved-Fired/Op Fire
Spotted/Smoke
Digging In/Dug In
Disrupted/Demoralized
Assault hex markers

Very nice admin counters
La guerra รจ bella, ma incomoda.
12-31-2013, 02:44 AM,
(12-31-2013, 01:36 AM)enrique Wrote: Very nice admin counters

Agreed.

To follow-up with Vince's comment (as I likewise use the blue/red moved/fired markers and wrecks - in fact, Vince was kind enough to ship me an extra set of the blues), and should you (PLloyd) be so inclined, perhaps one might design the admin counters such that the design element is constant (color/style of lettering; image; etc.) whilst perhaps making a trim or edging in blue and red (for the two side variant). This way, the lettering and image for a given "type" can have a consistent look and color(s), whilst only an edging or trim color designates the side.

Hope that makes sense. Guess it is always easy when inventing work for someone else.