Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something for the doubters
12-21-2013, 12:33 AM,
Something for the doubters
Those of us who recently received new games from AP already know this. To those thought "yeah right" when Vince said wall tiles, and I said thinker than peg-board, I offer the following evidence.

[attachment=504]
My reference material, sheet of masonite. This being the product label.

[attachment=505]
This is Countersheet #1 from Liberation '44 clamped to the masonite sheet. The masonite being the darker material. Imagine the assault hexes. Gives new meaning to the "Manhattan Project", doesn't it?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-21-2013, 02:44 AM,
RE: Something for the doubters
Wait till they publish the deluxe edition !
12-21-2013, 02:52 AM,
Aren't those called miniatures? Maybe replicas?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-21-2013, 02:38 PM,
Consider an assault hex with 3 units, 2 transports and 2 leaders against 3 units and 2 leaders. Before any markers are added this will be a 1 1/2" stack. Trivial you say? Start stacking your Beyond Normandy counters and let me know how many you have when you have a stack 1 1/2" inch.

For those of us with severe clumsiness the cries of "timber" as assault stacks tumble will be near constant!

On the other hand, the counters are just stunning.
No "minor" country left behind...
12-22-2013, 12:31 AM,
I would be interested to see a picture of Saipan #1 Red River towards the end of the scenario when Saipan is republished with the 1/8" counters. Very high counter density with several assaults reaching 8 counters or more.
12-22-2013, 08:51 AM,
The one positive thing about the 1/8" thick counters is that adjacent stacks will be sturdy enough to provide some temporary support to the toppling stack...
12-22-2013, 01:16 PM,
Like shaking stacks of dominoes or mahjong tiles.
12-24-2013, 06:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-24-2013, 06:59 AM by larry marak.)
The ink does have some texture to it, so the counters don't slip off. Definitely tiles, not counters though.

Since KNF will be followed up with an additional scenario book using both games, covering additional battles then and during Bagration, the stacking should be very interesting. SS counters operating on the southern flank will actually look like "supermen", and effect I'm certain Dr. B and the designer never intended.
12-24-2013, 12:47 PM,
I have played a scenario with the Liberation counters and did experience exactly what Larry has mentioned. Unlike the frictionless surface presented by previous laser cut or die punched counters the triple thicks hold place in a stack. I actually found that they were quite easy to work with to my surprise
12-28-2013, 01:04 AM,
Wow... I can see how this could be a problem with large stacks... or if you don't have assault-hexes printed out.

Am I right in assuming the administrative counters are still die-cut?