Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP-PG product update!
08-07-2013, 01:22 AM,
RE: AP-PG product update!
(08-07-2013, 12:04 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Elsenborn Ridge is available again.

Sword of Israel will be released very, very soon (counters arrived at AVP).

Whoo hoo! I've been looking for Elsenborn for a while now. Each scenario I seem to look at requires something from that game.
Already ordered!
08-07-2013, 02:02 AM,
Elsenborn Ridge is an excellent entry point in the series in my opinion. Many small to medium size, well-balanced scenarios, well-balanced scenarios, and components that are used in many expansions.

If you like small scenarios, you may want to consider the Winter Soldiers expansion. About half of its scenarios can be played with just the Elsenborn Ridge components, all scenarios last 20 turns or less (many 10-16) and all but one involve less than 100 units (many 30 - 70). It's available as a digital download so no shipping fee and no package to see for the potentially insanely angry spouse!
08-07-2013, 04:25 AM,
Thanks for that. I've got Winter Soldiers already, but have been waiting for an opportunity to pick up Elsenborn Ridge. It's on order now and I hope to pick it up from my hotel when I visit the US in 3 weeks' time.
08-07-2013, 04:30 AM,
Do you mean that a trip across the pond is cheaper than the current shipping rates? WOW!
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-07-2013, 07:46 AM,
Nah. I have to be there for business, as it happens.
Having said that, last time I had to pay out 40% the cost of the game on customs and handling in Belgium for games from the US. They hit you for taxes, which they estimate and you can't really question, and then they add 10 euro ($13) on top for their "service". And, you have to visit them to pick it up to boot![/code]
08-07-2013, 07:53 AM,
Do they break your kneecap if you fail to pay quickly enough?
08-07-2013, 05:16 PM,
???
No! They just don't hand over the game! Now tell me, what's more important anyway? Your kneecap or Elsenborn Ridge?
08-08-2013, 06:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 06:20 AM by Clupper21.)
(08-07-2013, 12:04 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Elsenborn Ridge is available again.

Sword of Israel will be released very, very soon (counters arrived at AVP).

I find that rather odd. When I was looking for a first game, I read the posts urging that ER was one of the better startup modules. It wasn't available on PG's web shop. I emailed AP and asked if it would become available and got not response.

So I bought a copy of PG:EF because I got a good deal on it (thanks, Hugmenot, again for the heads-up on that one). But I would have liked to have known that PG:ER was going to be available. Was there an announcement I missed? A section of AP's PG website that posts updates about reprints or reissues with status (like, no plans, thinking about it, in preparation, will be avaiable, etc.)

I should think that people paying more (sometimes far more) than $60 on Ebay and BGG would be a bit put out by all this.

The other thing that irritated be a bit (and pulled me into buying PG:EF rather than waiting for ER on ebay and such) was learning that the maps that come with the game aren't snow maps. You have to buy snow maps separately for a Battle of the Bulge game? I know they re-use the maps for other modules, but ISTM should be the other way around. I'm a very visual and slightly-compulsive person and *have* to have the snow maps. Will the snow maps be available?
08-08-2013, 06:42 AM,
Clupper21, you are running into the fact that APL is not a efficiently run company, heck it barely survives but for a few die-hards. There will be little advanced warning of the games coming out again so if you buy it on eBay, take hard that you have it now because when APL will ship it is always a guess. So welcome to the world of APL, play the games for what you have keep an eye on there website, maybe even get the Gold Club if you want another discount and a slightly more advanced view of there production. But the company is always a roll of the dice, both literally and figuratively.
08-08-2013, 06:55 AM,
From AP:

Winter Wonderland

Also now in stock.