Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here it is - that stupid NooB question....
03-21-2013, 08:27 AM,
RE: Here it is - that stupid NooB question....
(03-21-2013, 04:08 AM)hawkeyeted Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 02:29 AM)larry marak Wrote: Also as a newbie I recommend you buy at least one of the two Campaigns and Commanders books. They allow you to have role-playing leaders (your leaders earn skills which produce die mods in certain tasks).

Interesting twist! A chance to improve leadership.

(or Kokoda Trail!)

It adds a LOT of bookkeeping, but the few times I've tried it have been my most intense and satisfying PG scenarios ever - and they were played solo!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-21-2013, 11:00 AM,
True nerdvana. I had the same experience once with a mini-SASL campaign. Lots of bookkeeping and game playing, but well worthwhile. I'm still trying to get up for some C&C action. Perhaps soon?
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM,
Another noob question - why should you not combine leaders from more than one game? Is it just that some of the later war ones have better leaders or is there another reason?
03-30-2013, 10:09 PM,
(03-30-2013, 07:26 PM)petergarnett Wrote: Another noob question - why should you not combine leaders from more than one game? Is it just that some of the later war ones have better leaders or is there another reason?

Peter, the leaders ratings are specific for a given game. With the two most built out nationalities, the Germans and Soviets, there are dramatic differences in these ratings. Combining the leaders would changes the quality of the leaders that are pulled for a given scenario and possibly skewing the outcome.

Also if you plan any FtF or Skype play you don't want to combined as your opponent probably has not.
03-31-2013, 12:51 AM,
Alan has it right, don't combine counters. The average ratings and standard deviations vary between games. That in turn changes the strength of a give nationality in a game.

I've taken to marking a side of the leader counters in each game with a black Sharpie. It looks like this:
[attachment=371]

I've marked Soviet leaders from EFDx on the top, RtB on the bottom, RW on top and ½ side. It is very useful in, for example, a W&P scenario. After the game, I separate the W&P leaders (no mark) from the EFDx leaders (marked on top). If you follow a similar scheme, keep in mind there is no right or left sides for the leaders, just "the side".
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-31-2013, 12:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2013, 12:54 AM by Matt W.)
Once the Impartial Leader Selector is back on line it will be possible to bag all that stuff together again, as the leaders have been entered by game and will be selected correctly no matter how you have them stored. This will be a huge help for storing all of these items. The current upgrade includes every game and supplement that is in the database, so we will be missing some of the new Edelweiss until that is loaded.

Hammer and Sickle is unlikely to include any leaders as I believe the counter sheet is just the Soviet Iron Curtain sheet so we are nearly complete as far as the leaders go.
No "minor" country left behind...
03-31-2013, 02:13 AM,
Thanks for the fast replies - been a great help.

I'm finding this site very useful but sometimes confusing - for instance I've looked at Sinister Forces here and the counters are not all those I have so I assume the year of printing is a factor (my CS is from 2005).

The impartial leader selector sounds good but I think I'll also mark the edge of the leader counters as well as a backup (a handy tip & appreciated).

If anyone has a scan of the rear side only for the 3 unit counter sheets from EF I be grateful as I only scanned the front (something I do with games generally) and have now punched them before realising the rear of the leader counters are different leaders to the front.

Cheers
03-31-2013, 03:24 AM,
2 of the scans you want are at BGG. The scan for sheet 1 isn't over there.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-31-2013, 04:09 AM,
Peter, the counter images used in the scenario listings are taken from a pell mell collection of photographs, so you might see a listing mixing British counter from say Afrika Korps and Cassino and Beyond Normandy displayed, as long as they have the same counter values.
If you look at the armies lists in the library you will find examples of every variation of every counter so far printed.
03-31-2013, 11:16 AM,
(03-31-2013, 02:13 AM)petergarnett Wrote: I'm finding this site very useful but sometimes confusing - for instance I've looked at Sinister Forces here and the counters are not all those I have so I assume the year of printing is a factor (my CS is from 2005).

I assume you're talking about the Order of Battle trees on the Sinister Forces library page?

Please understand that these game OOBs are NOT the counters that came with the game, rather, they are all the units found in that game's scenarios. For an expansion like SiFo, this ends up being a much larger number of units than what come with it since we're including units pulled from all the other games during play.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...