Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Fire Table -1 target hex hill (any elevation) modifier!
12-31-2012, 07:03 AM,
RE: Direct Fire Table -1 target hex hill (any elevation) modifier!
(12-31-2012, 04:37 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Yes Tony that is how we play as this give an advantage to high ground. But in the letter of the rules per Doug M the -1 would apply at all hill hexes. But I believe this discounts the effect of holding the higher ground from an attack up hill. So anything down slope would not get the -1 even though the units are on a hill. I also consider firing across the same level not worthy of the -1 as there is no height advantage.

To Mikes point, any SSR's would supersede these rules.

I do not have a dog in this race although I do play RAW. The example I mentioned in KT references the TEC and (nearly) clearly spells out that the -1 DRM for hills apply to most hexes. To me, the KT Hill SSR really isn't unique, but rather a clarification of the existing rule. Frankly, I am in agreement with those who don't use the Hill DRM if the shot doesn't cross an elevation line.

YMMV and that's OK with me.

Michael
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
12-31-2012, 08:15 AM,
(12-30-2012, 09:45 PM)Double Deuce Wrote: I would think it would only apply to units firing uphill. IMHO, giving the modifier both ways would lessen the benefit of having the high ground.

That does sound logical, but I've always assumed the reason the rule specifically says "any elevation" is to indicate that it applies to all targets on hills regardless of the relative elevation of the shooter. I play rules as written.
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM,
(12-31-2012, 08:15 AM)joe_oppenheimer Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 09:45 PM)Double Deuce Wrote: I would think it would only apply to units firing uphill. IMHO, giving the modifier both ways would lessen the benefit of having the high ground.

That does sound logical, but I've always assumed the reason the rule specifically says "any elevation" is to indicate that it applies to all targets on hills regardless of the relative elevation of the shooter. I play rules as written.

I'm new at the game, so take it for what it's worth, but I felt it meant the modifier applies only to targets up hill "at any elevation". In other words, regardless of what elevation the target hex is, at the -1 modifier applies.
Ted "Hawkeyeted" Barkley
"All the Axis is hearing the tolling of the bells, and we're doing the rope pulling." - ADM "Bull" Halsey