Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Direct Fire Table -1 target hex hill (any elevation) modifier!
12-30-2012, 02:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012, 02:44 AM by JayTownsend.)
How do you guys play this:

I play it as if this modifier only applies if firing at targets up hill not firing at targets down hill. It make sense this way. Do you guys agree?
12-30-2012, 02:53 PM,
RE: Direct Fire Table -1 target hex hill (any elevation) modifier!
I always apply the -1 modifier.

My understanding is PG hills are not flat terrain and thus would provide some cover from units firing from a higher position.
12-30-2012, 08:37 PM,
I play RAW. I apply the -1 modifier to all targets on a hill: uphill, downhill and at the same level.
La guerra รจ bella, ma incomoda.
12-30-2012, 09:45 PM,
I would think it would only apply to units firing uphill. IMHO, giving the modifier both ways would lessen the benefit of having the high ground.
12-30-2012, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM by campsawyer.)
I had talked with Doug on this a while back. The DF/BF modifiers apply to the target hex not the attacker hex. So fire from a hill will not get a -1 modifier unless the target is also on a hill.
12-30-2012, 11:58 PM,
-1 regardless of attacker elevation. Some SSRs remove this depending on the type of terrain.
No "minor" country left behind...
12-31-2012, 12:18 AM,
(12-30-2012, 11:58 PM)Matt W Wrote: -1 regardless of attacker elevation. Some SSRs remove this depending on the type of terrain.

To go along with this, check out the special terrain rules in Kokoda Tail. This modifier applies across the board except for those few hexes at elevation zero. It's spelled out very clearly.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
12-31-2012, 02:46 AM,
(12-30-2012, 09:45 PM)Double Deuce Wrote: I would think it would only apply to units firing uphill. IMHO, giving the modifier both ways would lessen the benefit of having the high ground.

Agreed!
12-31-2012, 03:50 AM,
In the skype games I have played, we have applied the -1 modifier when shooting across elevation lines... that is , uphill or same elevation on two different hills. When on the same hill and the terrain is clear, we have not applied the mod as long as there is not an elevation line in between. I don't believe we have applied it on downhill shots (at least it has not come up in our games yet!)

At least that is what I recall (Vince or Alan can verify that.)
12-31-2012, 04:37 AM,
Yes Tony that is how we play as this give an advantage to high ground. But in the letter of the rules per Doug M the -1 would apply at all hill hexes. But I believe this discounts the effect of holding the higher ground from an attack up hill. So anything down slope would not get the -1 even though the units are on a hill. I also consider firing across the same level not worthy of the -1 as there is no height advantage.

To Mikes point, any SSR's would supersede these rules.