Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laser cut counters...Fall of France
11-29-2012, 12:53 AM,
RE: Laser cut counters...Fall of France
Larry, Precisely. The laser cut pieces feel more like wooden tiles than cardboard chits. They actually sound different when they are flipped onto a wooden table.
No "minor" country left behind...
11-29-2012, 01:24 AM,
Joshua, it is indeed a "Wipes-A-Lot" napkin that VPG includes. What exactly is it? Have got a brand? I really hate the soot from the laser cutting.
11-29-2012, 01:42 AM,
(11-28-2012, 11:59 PM)J6A Wrote: In VPG's boxed games, they now include a "Wipes-a-Lot" Napkin (I believe that's the title) for wiping off soot. Its quite handy. Its likely you'll find a bit of soot on the counters. After all, its a laser burning through wood (pulp). As Hugmenot points out, its much less noticeable once the counters are punched. I have had no issues using the counters and the soot is gone after a scenario or two, if that.

And Joshua, dont forget the VPG disclaimer Wink (what a load of boll-ocks that all was !!! )
11-29-2012, 01:49 AM,
(11-29-2012, 12:48 AM)larry marak Wrote: I'm beginning to suspect that die-cutting DAMAGES the cardboard, leading to eventual fraying and separation, while laser cutting seals in all the juicy goodness of a counter. The tactile feel is definitely that of a wooden tile, not compressed paper.

It is worth noting too that not all die-cut counters are created equal: the thick ones provided in Black SS, for example, have a much better "feel" than, say, the very thin ones in BN.
11-29-2012, 03:47 AM,
(11-29-2012, 01:24 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Joshua, it is indeed a "Wipes-A-Lot" napkin that VPG includes. What exactly is it? Have got a brand? I really hate the soot from the laser cutting.

As far as I know, its just a regular napkin that they got imprinted. I'll ask when I'm down there next week.

Now, see, if any of you lived in LV, I'd pick up games for you next week with my discount. Smile If there are any spare games, that is...the Cyber Monday sale was a big success and there are still about 90 orders to be shipped.

BTW, that was a blatant shill for VPG "Wipes-A-Lot" napkins.
11-29-2012, 03:51 AM,
(11-29-2012, 01:42 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(11-28-2012, 11:59 PM)J6A Wrote: In VPG's boxed games, they now include a "Wipes-a-Lot" Napkin (I believe that's the title) for wiping off soot. Its quite handy. Its likely you'll find a bit of soot on the counters. After all, its a laser burning through wood (pulp). As Hugmenot points out, its much less noticeable once the counters are punched. I have had no issues using the counters and the soot is gone after a scenario or two, if that.

And Joshua, dont forget the VPG disclaimer Wink (what a load of boll-ocks that all was !!! )

Its been Hughes, Pitcavage and Starkweather who have called me on it. Inevitably, most people tell them that they are full of shit, a couple think I should be more clear, and most probably are just annoyed by the entire thing. My position remains the same. If I am just talking about a game I got, or something I'm playing, I do not need to disclaim anything. If I am offering an opinion, then I will happily disclaim.

Now, one could read in that I probably won't offer a negative opinion of a game if I didn't like it, I just won't offer any opinion (unless asked). So, from that standpoint, I admit some bias. That being said, I've never purchased a VPG game I didn't like. I don't love all of them, and there hasn't been one where I've thought it was a piece of drek. And the ones that are on topics that don't interest me, I just don't buy in the 1st place.

Now back to your regularly scheduled PG.
11-29-2012, 03:53 AM,
(11-29-2012, 12:48 AM)larry marak Wrote: I'm beginning to suspect that die-cutting DAMAGES the cardboard, leading to eventual fraying and separation, while laser cutting seals in all the juicy goodness of a counter. The tactile feel is definitely that of a wooden tile, not compressed paper.

I actually had a couple of pieces in a recent VPG purchase (Darkest Night, I believe) where the laser didn't quite go all the way through for whatever reason and I had some flash on the counters. That's the 1st time I've seen it with the laser cuts. As for the long-term holding up, we'll have to see. I don't know if laser cutting "cauterizes" the counters or not.
11-29-2012, 04:02 AM,
No chemicals? Baby wipe, towelette? It has to be something. Chem-wipe lint free cloth? Any water or Windex?
11-29-2012, 04:44 AM,
I used the dry cloth I used to clean my glasses and I am happy with the results.
11-29-2012, 06:19 AM,
(11-29-2012, 04:02 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: No chemicals? Baby wipe, towelette? It has to be something. Chem-wipe lint free cloth? Any water or Windex?

I'll ask, and to the best of my knowledge, you can use it at the dinner table, too.