Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laser cut counters...Fall of France
11-28-2012, 02:11 PM,
Laser cut counters...Fall of France
So I received my Black November order containing Fall of France, Arctic Front Dlx and Golden Journal. Several surprises:

1. Fall of France box was NOT a slip cover, so I am assuming this is an older copy.
2. Laser cut counters. My first game with these contained in the box.

The laser cut counters - I don't know if I am a fan. I saw Hugmenot's thread on his laser counters and those did not look like the ones I received.

In this box, I received 1 countersheet of French units in the Laser cut format, and my German counters along with the remaining French were standard die-cut. There is some sort of "halo" around the edges which I am assuming is scorch marks.

Take a look at this
:

- do all the laser cut counters look like this? Anyone else with Fall Of France get the same thing?

The counters in the Golden Journal had the same halo effect. I like that they just fell out of the sheet, but I don't know if I like the color and "feel" of the counters.
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM,
RE: Laser cut counters...Fall of France
I recall reading earlier posts on CSW saying that that is just dust that can be wiped away gently with a cloth. Have you tried rubbing at it yet?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-28-2012, 03:51 PM,
(11-28-2012, 02:32 PM)Shad Wrote: I recall reading earlier posts on CSW saying that that is just dust that can be wiped away gently with a cloth. Have you tried rubbing at it yet?

No I have not tried that. I will and let you know.
11-28-2012, 11:51 PM,
Some of the residue should come off if you wipe the counters with a cloth. The remaining burn marks won't be as noticeable after you punch the counters.

The latest few laser cut countersheets I received had very little to no burn mark so I wonder if these were cut before VPG replaced the defective laser head.

Hard to be certain from a picture but it appears the colors came out good; very easy to read counters. I'd be happy with those.
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM,
In VPG's boxed games, they now include a "Wipes-a-Lot" Napkin (I believe that's the title) for wiping off soot. Its quite handy. Its likely you'll find a bit of soot on the counters. After all, its a laser burning through wood (pulp). As Hugmenot points out, its much less noticeable once the counters are punched. I have had no issues using the counters and the soot is gone after a scenario or two, if that.
11-29-2012, 12:05 AM,
Forget the triviality of counters. You wanna see what happened when I thought it might be useful for the laser-eye surgery !

http://www.welaf.com/uploads/201011/20/i...he-guy.jpg
11-29-2012, 12:08 AM,
I oughta make that your icon! Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-29-2012, 12:14 AM,
I did try that and indeed they do look much nicer. It does look better punched - not surrounded by the excess soot does make a difference.

I do like the feel of the counters as they seem more sturdy than the traditional ones. The other weird thing and I don't think It is as noticeable in the picture but the German counters are more green than gray and the IRGD counters are light green. The book said field gray and light gray, but it is a cosmetic observation. I actually like the greenish tint as it sets off better against the French Blue-gray.
11-29-2012, 12:29 AM,
Tony,

My vintage cut GD counters are a very light creamy green. Definately not grey.
11-29-2012, 12:48 AM,
I'm beginning to suspect that die-cutting DAMAGES the cardboard, leading to eventual fraying and separation, while laser cutting seals in all the juicy goodness of a counter. The tactile feel is definitely that of a wooden tile, not compressed paper.