Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Movement and Hills
11-24-2012, 10:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Road Movement and Hills
(11-24-2012, 09:16 AM)campsawyer Wrote: With regard to elevation lines and roads, Poor Yorek is on target. Roads negate the other terrain.

As for pay the +1 for all hill hexes, no. The +1 is only for the elevation lines. The other hills hexes, i.e. woods, open, etc, cost only what there base cost is and potentially modified by SSR's.

Oops, yes, I forgot to address the latter case. Scrambled eggs and toast were calling.

BlackCloud: Note too that movement along roads is affected by stacking limits, (wrecks in towns), road blocks (in FoF?) and such. The road rule only obviates "terrain" effects when moving along a road. And, as Camp has stated, Scenario Specific Rules always take precedence.

The only sense I can make of the hill line rule is that:

(i) 0-m terrain is "flat" with maybe +/- 2 meters of undulation (not limiting terrain).
(ii) 20-m "hill" terrain is more rugged with +/- say 5 meters of undulation (hence Limiting Terrain, but no additional movement charge beyond the other terrain in hex).
(iii) The hill line between 0/20m elevation is where the +/- 20m normative elevation occurs (even if not a "sheer" change); thus, both limiting terrain and the +1/+2 movement cost to mechanized/motorized vehicles either to power up or shift down the glide.

Now I may have just opened Pandora's Box so I'll "duck and cover." Angel
11-24-2012, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 10:07 AM by Michael Murphy.)
(11-24-2012, 09:45 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Michael,

Do not go either way on this. 5.2 is quite specific on this as per Poor Yorek has already pointed out. It is road rate up hills.

<snip>

OK, I see that this another one that I overthought. I'll be good and not charge the mover any extra for entering an elevation line along the road. Confused
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
11-24-2012, 10:07 AM,
(11-24-2012, 09:45 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Therefore, the group we play in on skype and ftf (about 6 of us) ALWAYS use 1 MP for town whether old or new map style.

What, no tanks barreling along in town down a road?

Ok, sorry, that was bad. Blush
11-24-2012, 10:19 AM,
(11-24-2012, 10:00 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(11-24-2012, 09:16 AM)campsawyer Wrote: With regard to elevation lines and roads, Poor Yorek is on target. Roads negate the other terrain.

As for pay the +1 for all hill hexes, no. The +1 is only for the elevation lines. The other hills hexes, i.e. woods, open, etc, cost only what there base cost is and potentially modified by SSR's.

Oops, yes, I forgot to address the latter case. Scrambled eggs and toast were calling.

BlackCloud: Note too that movement along roads is affected by stacking limits, (wrecks in towns), road blocks (in FoF?) and such. The road rule only obviates "terrain" effects when moving along a road. And, as Camp has stated, Scenario Specific Rules always take precedence.

The only sense I can make of the hill line rule is that:

(i) 0-m terrain is "flat" with maybe +/- 2 meters of undulation (not limiting terrain).
(ii) 20-m "hill" terrain is more rugged with +/- say 5 meters of undulation (hence Limiting Terrain, but no additional movement charge beyond the other terrain in hex).
(iii) The hill line between 0/20m elevation is where the +/- 20m normative elevation occurs (even if not a "sheer" change); thus, both limiting terrain and the +1/+2 movement cost to mechanized/motorized vehicles either to power up or shift down the glide.

Now I may have just opened Pandora's Box so I'll "duck and cover." Angel

But don't mix hills with elevation lines. This is the problem with the rules is explanation of difference between the two. In elevation hexes you pay the extra MP's for as well as the underlying terrain.

Hills are groups of hexes that encompass several hexes, bounded by elevation lines. So hexes that don't have elevations in them you only pay that terrain MP cost.
11-24-2012, 10:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 11:01 AM by Shad.)
(11-24-2012, 10:19 AM)campsawyer Wrote: But don't mix hills with elevation lines. This is the problem with the rules is explanation of difference between the two. In elevation hexes you pay the extra MP's for as well as the underlying terrain.

Hills are groups of hexes that encompass several hexes, bounded by elevation lines. So hexes that don't have elevations in them you only pay that terrain MP cost.

::deep sigh::

I did not MIX hills and elevation lines. I'm fully aware that one pays the extra MPs as well as the underlying terrain: as I'd already mentioned that in the parenthetical bit of part (ii) I didn't see the point in repeating it in (iii).

Your second paragraph would not explain, in my opinion, why interior hexes (hexes encompassed by elevation lines) are considered LT. And as regards movement there, that is precisely what my part (ii) stated, you know, where I said: but no additional movement charge beyond the other terrain in hex .

I only brought this up to give some rationalization to the OP regarding the movement points issue and concomitant LT matter.
11-24-2012, 10:42 AM,
Poor,

This is where APL does not explain this very well and we all mix the words hills and elevations to mean one or the other. I just want to be clear that the hexes contain elevation lines that you pay MPs for. Hills are groups of hexes bound by elevation lines.

As for limiting terrain, that is spotting and I really don't want to go there with this thread. Just sticking with MP's.
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(11-24-2012, 10:42 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I just want to be clear that the hexes contain elevation lines that you pay MPs for.

I'm pretty sure that is what I wrote.

Well, at least this may distract from my atrocious pun earlier.
11-24-2012, 10:54 AM,
(11-24-2012, 10:45 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(11-24-2012, 10:42 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I just want to be clear that the hexes contain elevation lines that you pay MPs for.

I'm pretty sure that is what I wrote.

Well, at least this may distract from my atrocious pun earlier.

Ok.
11-24-2012, 12:31 PM,
(11-24-2012, 10:00 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: BlackCloud: Note too that movement along roads is affected by stacking limits, (wrecks in towns), road blocks (in FoF?) and such. The road rule only obviates "terrain" effects when moving along a road. And, as Camp has stated, Scenario Specific Rules always take precedence.

If there are two combat units sitting ona road hex and my tank moving along the road, enters that hex using the road still pays only 1/2 MP?
11-24-2012, 12:57 PM,
(11-24-2012, 12:31 PM)Blackcloud6 Wrote:
(11-24-2012, 10:00 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: BlackCloud: Note too that movement along roads is affected by stacking limits, (wrecks in towns), road blocks (in FoF?) and such. The road rule only obviates "terrain" effects when moving along a road. And, as Camp has stated, Scenario Specific Rules always take precedence.

If there are two combat units sitting ona road hex and my tank moving along the road, enters that hex using the road still pays only 1/2 MP?

Yes.