PG-HQ Forums
Road Movement and Hills - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: PG-HQ Q&A (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Road Movement and Hills (/showthread.php?tid=387)

Pages: 1 2 3

Road Movement and Hills - Blackcloud6 - 11-24-2012

Quote:5.2 Roads
To obtain the movement benefit of roads, movement must follow the road across a hexside containing the road, not just into or out of a road hex. Units moving along a road (including bridges) pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex.

Hills add MPs to movement, so if a unit is moving along doe it add the +1 or not in light of 5.2? So does a mech unit moving along a road up a hill pay 1.5 or just .5?

And are all the hill additions added on any hill hex or just when entering a hex with an elevation line?

RE: Road Movement and Hills - Shad - 11-24-2012

(11-24-2012, 08:28 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: And are all the hill additions added on any hill hex or just when entering a hex with an elevation line?

I'm pretty confident the answer to this question is "only when crossing an elevation line" which is the same as entering for all practical purposes. However, that's nowhere in the rules. I suspect it is explained on the Terrain Effects Chart, which I haven't handy.

Sadly, I must leave the other questions to... others.Blush

RE: Road Movement and Hills - Michael Murphy - 11-24-2012

In the absence of any definite ruling I have been charging a +1 to enter an elevation line regardless of the terrain. You're right, this could stand further clarification.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - Poor Yorek - 11-24-2012

The rule states: "Units moving along a road (including bridges) pay the road movement cost on the TEC, not the cost of the terrain in the hex ."

The hill or hill line is part of the "terrain in the hex." My opinion then is that when moving along a road, motorized or mechanized units pay only 1/2 a movement point cost no matter the terrain feature. Now, of course, were the vehicle moving onto a road in a hex with a hill line, then the +1 penalty (in addition to any other terrain feature) would be paid.

In my opinion.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - JayTownsend - 11-24-2012

Moving along roads you pay road movement.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - Blackcloud6 - 11-24-2012

Shad is right on the elevation line part of the rules. it is on the TEC "..and ar paid only when unit enters a hex with an elevation line." it is the last sentence in the paragraph under "other Effect" for hills. Guess I should learn to read.

The way I read the rules, I tend to agree with Poor Yorek but it does not seem intuitive.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - campsawyer - 11-24-2012

With regard to elevation lines and roads, Poor Yorek is on target. Roads negate the other terrain.

As for pay the +1 for all hill hexes, no. The +1 is only for the elevation lines. The other hills hexes, i.e. woods, open, etc, cost only what there base cost is and potentially modified by SSR's.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - campsawyer - 11-24-2012

Quote:T but it does not seem intuitive.

SOP for APL rules. Huh

RE: Road Movement and Hills - Michael Murphy - 11-24-2012

I can go either way on this. I've just playing the RAW. If the general consensus it to ignore the plus 1 on a road, well, I could easily go along with that. To me it isn't a big deal. As I see it, a unit paying the hill cost on a road could easily be trying to avoid silhouetting themselves on the ridge line.

RE: Road Movement and Hills - vince hughes - 11-24-2012

Michael,

Do not go either way on this. 5.2 is quite specific on this as per Poor Yorek has already pointed out. It is road rate up hills.

My bug bear with the rule comes with towns and changing map art.

On the newer maps one can see where roads pass through town hexes, but in EFD and RtB practically every town hex has a road run through it due to the shall we say, strange town art ? It seems hard in that case to ever see town movement rate on an EFD town hex ??? Therefore, the group we play in on skype and ftf (about 6 of us) ALWAYS use 1 MP for town whether old or new map style.