Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printable Magnet Sheets? (PROJECT COMPLETE!!!)
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM,
RE: Printable Magnet Sheets? (Connection Speed Caution: large images on page 2)
WOW!! Almost makes me wish I didn't have a large gaming table and no cats.
11-10-2012, 06:20 PM,
Much better colour map Shad.

Any chance you can make the 4 pieces for me and post them next time your in Europe !

I hate the colours of the official map.
11-10-2012, 07:17 PM,
If you want magnetic paper you need to wait If you just want the digital splits to print yourself I can post em immediately. Lemme know.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-10-2012, 07:29 PM,
(11-10-2012, 07:17 PM)Shad Wrote: If you want magnetic paper you need to wait If you just want the digital splits to print yourself I can post em immediately. Lemme know.

Digital prints would be fine, I can buy my own base be it magnetic or some other material.... that'll be great. I will send my address by email.

Above post by me SHOULD read

"When you're in Europe" rather than "When your in Europe" .... Must re-read more often before pressing send
11-10-2012, 08:00 PM,
LOL

Vince and I just had a rather large misunderstanding via email that hinged on the various meanings of the verb POST ...

doh!

Cmon Vince, use English mate! Big Grin Wink Tongue
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM,
Ok, I just ordered six sheets of A4 size, single-sided adhesive 1mm magnetized rubber... the kind of stuff they make refrigerator magnets with.

I figure for sizing, four A4 sheets will be necessary for one full-size PG countersheet. You use two for the front and two for the back to make slightly oversized counters.

That leaves me with two extra sheets for backup.

11-20-2012, 09:04 PM,
My 1mm magnetic sheets arrived today. These are exactly the same as flexible rubber refrigerator magnets except there is nothing on the "back" side. They are only magnetic in one direction, but they seem to have good grip, even when placed on the magnetic paper maps.

I have printed out my Airborne countersheet in color on 4 pieces of plain A4 paper. Tomorrow morning I will hide in my office and try to align, stick, and cut the first sheet. Big Grin

Will post pictures then!
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM,
(11-20-2012, 09:04 PM)Shad Wrote: My 1mm magnetic sheets arrived today. These are exactly the same as flexible rubber refrigerator magnets except there is nothing on the "back" side. They are only magnetic in one direction, but they seem to have good grip, even when placed on the magnetic paper maps.

I have printed out my Airborne countersheet in color on 4 pieces of plain A4 paper. Tomorrow morning I will hide in my office and try to align, stick, and cut the first sheet. Big Grin

Will post pictures then!

Shad, does this stick to itself? I ask because I assume that is how you will get the counters on it so you can play a game.
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM,
Yeah the rubberized sheet has two sides: magnetic and non-magnetic with adhesive. They come with a paper sheet protecting the sticky side. You peal that off and slap on your desired doodad or image and so on.

My question at the moment is what tool would be most effective in cutting clean lines through 1mm of rubber...?
11-21-2012, 03:58 PM,
Ohhhhhhhhhhh this is too much fun!

This morning I stuck the first sheet together. The 1mm magnetized rubber has a waxy protective paper slip that you peel off. It's the typical sticker backing you've seen a million times before. Then I just plopped my printed paper countersheet half down on top of it. Because I was working with large margins I needn't worry about alignment.

I dropped by my local office supply store this morning and those shears and the mega-boxcutter were the beefiest cutting instruments they had available.

The 1mm is really tough stuff, it is also very heavy. I cut the first row of counters using only the shears. The paper tore a bit on the edges. Also, the weight of the part you are cutting off causes the rubber to flex, so your cuts tend to curve off to the right at the end.

These didn't come out great, but they suit my purpose as an initial trial.

For subsequent counters I used the heavy-duty box cutter. This required a surprising amount of downward force and pulling to get through the rubber. The results were much better though with none of the rough edges caused by the shears.

Today I did the first half sheet. Tomorrow I will finish the batch and post some in-play shots.

For now I leave you with this: my PG-themed jacket locker! Big Grin