Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edelweiss Expanded Revised
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM by larry marak.)
RE: Edelweiss Expanded Revised
He who no-one will hug has it right. Producing short runs of laser cut counters make the cost of the countersheet considerably higher than the cost of the book, comb-bound or full sized. Mike's probably realizing he needs to raise prices, and he really doesn't want to do it and the frustration was leaking out.

By the way, notice that this expansion has double the counters of the original set, so there is more meat to this edition, as well as support articles. :-}
09-25-2012, 01:42 PM,
(09-25-2012, 09:05 AM)larry marak Wrote: He who no-one will hug has it right. Producing short runs of laser cut counters make the cost of the countersheet considerably higher than the cost of the book, comb-bound or full sized. Mike's probably realizing he needs to raise prices, and he really doesn't want to do it and the frustration was leaking out.

By the way, notice that this expansion has double the counters of the original set, so there is more meat to this edition, as well as support articles. :-}

I figured there has to be something different about it!
09-27-2012, 03:18 AM,
Edition 2, the download had additional counters, including unit appropriate leaders, this version of the countersheet will be provided in Edition 3.
09-27-2012, 04:56 AM,
(09-27-2012, 03:18 AM)larry marak Wrote: Edition 2, the download had additional counters, including unit appropriate leaders, this version of the countersheet will be provided in Edition 3.

I hope they are not the same ones that were also downloadable from the APL site as a gimme ? These leaders were simply far too powerful and I have therefore never used them.
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM,
By my reckoning, this makes the fourth edition of Edelweiss. The first and third editions are in the library.

They are (by release date):
July 2003: Edelweiss: Stapled booklet (direct sale only, not for retail stores) and 74 die-cut counters
November 2007: Edelweiss Expanded: Comb-bound book with more scenarios, but the same 74 die-cut counters
January 2009: Edelweiss Expanded: Downloadable .pdf with 37-page scenario book and 161 DIY counters (full countersheet)
October? 2012: Edelweiss Expanded: 64 page book and the same countersheet as the DIY version, but with laser-cut counters.

Looks like it will get the full book treatment, with articles on the units involved.
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM,
Question for Jay Townsend

Jay -- I was checking release dates for the Library when I ran found out about the various editions of Edelweiss. The question came up between me and Shad as to whether we needed to add the second edition (2007) to the library.

I've been trying to find out if the second (comb-bound) and third (download) versions have the same scenario book (I have the download version but not the second version).

In the download version, Scenario One begins on page 5. Page 37 is the last numbered page. Then there is a back cover page with the AvPress logo and Virginia Beach address, and a bar code.

Can you let me know if that matches your print edition?

Thanks,
Robin
09-28-2012, 02:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012, 02:59 AM by JayTownsend.)
I own these two versions:

*July 2003: Edelweiss: Stapled booklet (direct sale only, not for retail stores) and 74 die-cut counters
*November 2007: Edelweiss Expanded: Comb-bound book with more scenarios, but the same 74 die-cut counters

*And I recieved the leader counters and the corrected tank counters from the Gold-Club counter sheet of 2007-08.

I don't own the downloaded version or the new version, so I don't know if the scenarios are different or not? But the Laser counters might be cool to own.
09-28-2012, 08:20 AM,
I own the same two as Jay. The November 07 version has 32 scenarios as does the download version. I do not know what the "extra" counters are in the current version.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM,
They might be the Leader counters from the Gold-club? Or maybe just double the counters?
09-28-2012, 10:52 PM,
I own the first (stapled book) and third (download) versions.

The download has a full countersheet, but not two copies of the first version countersheet. Generally, it has the same counters, but more of them (21 Geb vs 12 in the original). It does have some counters that are not in the original:
SS:
20mm (1 counter)
75mm Mtn (1)
H38 (2)
Heer:
Ski (8)
75mm Mtn (3)
Wagon (1)
Sledge (1)
Strongpoint (6)
Italian Army
88mm (1 counter in desert colors - used in Scenario 22)
Soviet RKKA
Strongpoint (6)

The download version also includes the same numbers of Heer leader counters (1 Oberst, 6 Lt, etc) as the Gold Club countersheet, but I'd have to go through them to see if they have the same Morale and Combat/Morale modifiers.