Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edelweiss Expanded Revised
09-23-2012, 12:33 AM,
Edelweiss Expanded Revised
Anyone note that a print and mounted revised edition of Edelweiss is schedualed for release soon? Everyone who missed out on the original set, which had quite a few unique counters, such as the SS mountain troops required for Tank Battles scenarios, will finally have a chance to scoop them up. Only question is how much revised? will we need a 3rd game listing, ala Airborne?
09-23-2012, 12:59 AM,
RE: Edelweiss Expanded Revised
These are some of my favourite counters and my favourite Divisions.

The PG counters do a good job in just about capturing that Feldgrau mix with 'Hunting Green' on Jager grun. They mix positively perfectly (I'm talking about the Wehrmacht Gebirgsjager here not the SS).

I have visited the Gebirgsjager museum in Innsbruck and couldn't help but remember whilst there my battles with the PG counters. There's an interesting colour propaganda video of the Gebirgsjager here, just over a minute long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFV3yHfjmsg

And the traditional Gebirgsjager song, 'Erika' here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=becfevFTLWk
09-23-2012, 02:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2012, 02:23 AM by JayTownsend.)
The problem with Edelweiss, is that I already have the first two printed versions. My last one being Edelweiss Expanded Edition with 32 scenarios and counters. So I really don't need the counters a third time.

Same with Airborne. I quit with Introductory Edition and sold the original because I had the upgraded Airborne and passed on the third edition of Airborne.

With that said the difference from the original Panzer Grenadier EF to PG Eastern Front, with 112 scenarios, new counter types and the Romanian Army added into the game made it a very worth while upgrade if not a new game. I even sold my original Panzer Grenadier game as Eastern Front had all those scenario plus many more, so I knew I would never play the original again!
09-23-2012, 02:42 AM,
Hmmm, I have to look at see what version of Edelweiss I have.
09-23-2012, 03:10 AM,
I have the expanded version and it has 32 scenarios so I think it is the same but with more in the way of background articles
No "minor" country left behind...
09-25-2012, 01:33 AM,
In consimowrld forum I tried to provide my view on laser-cut versions of products that were originally published as downloadable.
Pherpaps it was not the best place to post my "extreme" ideas and got slashed by APL support.
Still I think is unfari to be charged again for the whole package if you already purchased the downloadable. And this is true IMO also for Edelweiss.

Ottavio
09-25-2012, 03:23 AM,
You have never heard of CH then.

I have been foolishly buying CH stuff for years, but I think me at an end of patience..
09-25-2012, 05:45 AM,
(09-25-2012, 01:33 AM)otto Wrote: In consimowrld forum I tried to provide my view on laser-cut versions of products that were originally published as downloadable.
Pherpaps it was not the best place to post my "extreme" ideas and got slashed by APL support.
Still I think is unfari to be charged again for the whole package if you already purchased the downloadable. And this is true IMO also for Edelweiss.

Ottavio

Ottavio,

Given your past contributions to APL I think they could have politely contacted you off line and "Seen you right" as we say in London.

I too fully understood what you were saying. Fortunately, I stayed away from downloads with DIY counters. I only 'downloaded' scenario only packages, so the new format of buying the whole package suits me.

But I do sympathise with those that supported APL and are not allowed to buy counters only.

To Zovs, CH's re-hashes of some titles (Stalingrad comes to mind) have been nothing short of scandalous at times.

Vince
09-25-2012, 06:32 AM,
(09-25-2012, 01:33 AM)otto Wrote: In consimowrld forum I tried to provide my view on laser-cut versions of products that were originally published as downloadable.

Ottavio

It was the best place, but that particular power has never been eager to hear customers speak the truth. Angry That's why I made this little-site-that-could.

Your perspective is always welcome, Otto. We'll be here long after they're gone, after all. Cool
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-25-2012, 06:52 AM,
Selling a product as a whole (printed booklet and counters) and as parts (counters only) makes inventory management more difficult and may result in unsaleable inventory (printed booklet). Yes, Avalanche Press could mitigate this problem by ordering different quantities of each (assuming they don't print book in-house) but that's assuming they have a very good idea of the demand for this specific product.

I would not recommend this approach to a small company until they are on financially solid ground.

It appears you caught Mike on a bad day as his response made no sense to me except if he is just venting about margins. Pricing a 10-scenario booklet with counters at the same price the customers expects to pay for a 64-book with 20+ scenarios, background articles, and counters would be bad product branding in my opinion. I think Avalanche Press has done a good job pricing their supplements and books so that repeat customers can be very confident what they will be getting when they purchase a $24.99 supplement versus a $29.99 book.