Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
logfiles and save games
08-01-2022, 11:21 AM,
RE: logfiles and save games
(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: I've already started my first self-play game for the academy. I have the first 2 or 3 turns done and saved as a log file. What would be the best way to set that up so we can fight each other and I can get credit for the scenario?

That's a tuffy since you already started. Your opponent should be able to pick a side, but you would be left in control of both sides. Not a show-stopper, but could be confusing. It is possible that once your opponent has joined side, you might be able to retire to the other side, but I've never tried it.

(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: Also, with an actual online opponent how does the whole logfile process work since each player is controlling one side? As opposed to solitaire when one player is controlling both sides and one logfile is being written by that player.

Either or both of you may create logfiles, just like when you start a solitaire session, you both get the option. All sides are recorded on a logfile.

(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: With my work schedule and trying to coordinate with goosebrown so we can play each other it might take a little longer to complete the scenario than I originally planned.

There isn't a time limit. Since you and Matt are literally in opposite corners of the country, coordination might be a problem.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-02-2022, 12:29 AM,
Make the time to play PG when you can. Getting some practice pays dividends in this incredibly fiddly game, but interesting game. True, the game mechanics take awhile to get used to, but playing with the ever-challenging, goose brown, is sure to raise your game to new levels. Play for fun, and you will enjoy the comradeship long-term.
08-02-2022, 02:45 AM,
(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 11:32 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: You could fight fight him now. No one ever said self-play and self-study students need to complete the course alone.

I've already started my first self-play game for the academy. I have the first 2 or 3 turns done and saved as a log file. What would be the best way to set that up so we can fight each other and I can get credit for the scenario?

Also, with an actual online opponent how does the whole logfile process work since each player is controlling one side? As opposed to solitaire when one player is controlling both sides and one logfile is being written by that player.

With my work schedule and trying to coordinate with goosebrown so we can play each other it might take a little longer to complete the scenario than I originally planned.
Log files work the same way. It records your moves and my moves and you can play them all back which is not a bad thing to do in a way. We could start a scenario and then log it then when done you could go and play it all back later

I hear you about scheduling. This week is a little rough schedule wise, but in theory we could do a Friday PM or something on a Saturday. I work from home so some flexibility most of the time. I also have children and they need me to drive them places sometimes and saturday is my do stuff day also. Let me see how this Friday is and then I can ping you to see if it fits your schedule.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
08-02-2022, 11:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 11:48 AM by cyberjockey.)
(08-02-2022, 02:45 AM)goosebrown Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 11:32 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: You could fight fight him now. No one ever said self-play and self-study students need to complete the course alone.

I've already started my first self-play game for the academy. I have the first 2 or 3 turns done and saved as a log file. What would be the best way to set that up so we can fight each other and I can get credit for the scenario?

Also, with an actual online opponent how does the whole logfile process work since each player is controlling one side? As opposed to solitaire when one player is controlling both sides and one logfile is being written by that player.

With my work schedule and trying to coordinate with goosebrown so we can play each other it might take a little longer to complete the scenario than I originally planned.
Log files work the same way. It records your moves and my moves and you can play them all back which is not a bad thing to do in a way. We could start a scenario and then log it then when done you could go and play it all back later

I hear you about scheduling. This week is a little rough schedule wise, but in theory we could do a Friday PM or something on a Saturday. I work from home so some flexibility most of the time. I also have children and they need me to drive them places sometimes and saturday is my do stuff day also. Let me see how this Friday is and then I can ping you to see if it fits your schedule.

I did have something planned for Friday but it didn't pan out so as of right now I'm good for Friday. Also, I chose Invasion 1944 as the game for the self-play track. 

I've pretty much only done solo play on VASSAL for PG and the other game modules I have. So how does it work for playing against an actual opponent? Do we just connect on the VASSAL server or is there a different process for the academy?
08-02-2022, 12:00 PM,
(08-01-2022, 11:21 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:  
(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: I've already started my first self-play game for the academy. I have the first 2 or 3 turns done and saved as a log file. What would be the best way to set that up so we can fight each other and I can get credit for the scenario?

That's a tuffy since you already started. Your opponent should be able to pick a side, but you would be left in control of both sides. Not a show-stopper, but could be confusing. It is possible that once your opponent has joined side, you might be able to retire to the other side, but I've never tried it.

(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: Also, with an actual online opponent how does the whole logfile process work since each player is controlling one side? As opposed to solitaire when one player is controlling both sides and one logfile is being written by that player.

Either or both of you may create logfiles, just like when you start a solitaire session, you both get the option. All sides are recorded on a logfile.

(08-01-2022, 09:30 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: With my work schedule and trying to coordinate with goosebrown so we can play each other it might take a little longer to complete the scenario than I originally planned.

There isn't a time limit. Since you and Matt are literally in opposite corners of the country, coordination might be a problem.

Since I haven't submitted anything yet, could I delete the log file I have saved now and just effectively 'start over' with a new logfile when I get ready to play against goosebrown?
goosebrown likes this post
08-02-2022, 12:35 PM,
(08-02-2022, 12:00 PM)cyberjockey Wrote: Since I haven't submitted anything yet, could I delete the log file I have saved now and just effectively 'start over' with a new logfile when I get ready to play against goosebrown?

That is a perfectly viable option. It would depend mostly on how invested you are in the time already spent. Then again, a restart usually will lead to better play.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-03-2022, 07:57 AM,
The scenario I had chosen originally for the solitaire play was actually a small one (Scenario One from Invasion 1944). It only has about 20 units and leaders total between both sides and I had only completed 2 or 3 turns.

I don't really have hours and hours invested so I think that restarting would be the best option. I probably wouldn't even have to delete the log file I have now. I could just use a different file name for the logfile since it would be me against an opponent. 

Also, something I had mentioned to Matt in one of our discussions. How do we actually play against each other? Do we go onto the VASSAL server after we start or is there a different process for doing scenarios for the academy?
08-03-2022, 09:41 AM,
(08-03-2022, 07:57 AM)cyberjockey Wrote: Also, something I had mentioned to Matt in one of our discussions. How do we actually play against each other? Do we go onto the VASSAL server after we start or is there a different process for doing scenarios for the academy?

Just go to the server and create a room. One of you can start a game first, then connect and the other joins.
08-03-2022, 02:34 PM,
It's easy. I can walk you through it. We usually talk on phone or skype then I can set the game up or you, connect to the server, make a room, then you can enter it or I enter yours, and the game starts. We share the map and can talk as we move. There needs to be a lot of smack talk though or it just doesn't work... 

Then when you're done, each person saves the game and then you quit and come back the next time and pick up where you left off and no cat can come and sit on your game and mess it up. It's brilliant

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
08-04-2022, 09:31 AM,
I've played around a little bit with the server before with some other games I have. So I know how to create a room to host a game and how to join one. I have a Mac mini and an iPhone so I guess we could FaceTime or whatever. 

Yep, the smack talk makes the game, but since most of my PG gaming has been solo my smack talking has lost a lot of smack.

I'm still good for Friday if you're still looking to do that. I guess we will just have to coordinate a time to get together and get on the server. I guess the biggest issue would be the 3 hour time difference since we are on opposite sides of the country.

It has been a while since I've done anything with the VASSAL server, though. Would we both need to have the game files for the PG game (in my case Invasion 1944) or would only the person hosting need them? I would think we would both need them so we both would have all the counters.

I had started doing my first self-play scenario for the academy and the scenario I was playing had the Americans with an OBA increment of 10, but the game files didn't have a OBA 10 counter originally. But I posted that on here and 1SG plloyd1010 was kind enough to add one to the game files. So if we both need to have the game files for the server, it might not be a bad idea to reload the Invasion 1944 game files from the academy hub. 

I currently have no cats that could sit on my game and mess it up. But I have had cats before and I have had that happen.