Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
logfiles and save games
07-30-2022, 11:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2022, 11:57 AM by cyberjockey.)
logfiles and save games
I mostly play solo and I haven't done a lot with logfiles so I have a question regarding logfiles and game saves. If I have to complete the game over several sessions and have to make several logfiles would I have to make the game save file (.vsav) name(s) match the log file names for the log files to work properly or could I just use one file name for the .vsav and save each session under that name. 

My understanding of the process is that when you save a log file at the end of a session and then save the game that the log file would be directly linked with that particular session. If you started a new session you would need to save the log file and the game under a new name even though you are just continuing the game.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:
1. Start a session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turn_1'
2. Complete session - save log file - save game under name 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turn1'
3. Start new session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turns2_3'
4. Complete session - save log file -- save game as a new save file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turns2_3'

Does that example explain pretty well what I am talking about? 
I guess my question is if my understanding of the process is correct or would I be able to save the game under the same name after each session?

Example:
1. Start a session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turn1'
2. Complete session - save log file - save game under name 'XX_Game_XX_Scen'
3. Start a new session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Turns2_3'
4. Complete session - save log file - save game under same name of 'XX_Game_XX_Scen'
07-30-2022, 01:34 PM,
RE: logfiles and save games
I would leave it a little more open than you have it. (And there is 1 change into 2 steps.)

1. Start a session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Ses1'
2. Complete session step 1 - Click End Logfile from File Menu
3. Complete session step 2 - Click Quit from File Menu
4. Start new session - start log file called 'XX_Game_XX_Scen_Ses2'

We can figure out which turn you are on by watch the turn track.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-31-2022, 01:27 AM,
That first example was just my understanding of how it worked. So when I go to quit the game after closing the log file and a message window pops up asking me to save the game it doesn't really matter what I call the game save file?
07-31-2022, 01:38 AM,
It doesn't matter what you call the saved game. Remember to end the logfile. That is when it actually gets saved.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-31-2022, 02:20 AM,
Thanks for that clarification. I think that my misunderstanding of how the saves (game and log file) work is what was confusing me. I don't know if you remember that I had signed up before and ended up quitting after several months. I think that my confusion was one of the reasons I quit. But now that it is clear to me how they work I plan on graduating from the academy this time.

Also thanks for the tip on log file names. I will try to remember that.
goosebrown likes this post
07-31-2022, 10:27 AM,
When you go to end/save a game session, it will pop up a message window asking if you want to save the log file if you started one at the beginning of the session. So I guess that makes it easier to remember to save the log file when you are done with the session.
07-31-2022, 01:49 PM,
When you're ready I will fight you anywhere on the globe. I am new too so it would be fun.

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).
07-31-2022, 11:32 PM,
You could fight fight him now. No one ever said self-play and self-study students need to complete the course alone.
08-01-2022, 09:04 AM,
(07-31-2022, 01:49 PM)goosebrown Wrote: When you're ready I will fight you anywhere on the globe. I am new too so it would be fun.

My work schedule usually makes it hard for me to have a set time to get together with somebody to play. So I have to just sort of 'play it by ear' on getting together. I'm normally off on Fridays and Saturdays so that's when I plan to do these sessions.

But I usually do errands and chores on Saturdays so I don't get quite as much time to do this stuff. Sometimes on Fridays I go out and do things. The best way to do this if you want is to give me 2 or 3 days notice and I can adjust my schedule. With that said, I'd prefer to get together on Fridays (pretty much anytime). Saturdays also work (from around noon to 4PM would be the best time).

I've already started my first self-play scenario and have the first 2 or 3 turns done so I don't know the best procedure to play together if you are also looking to finish the academy.
08-01-2022, 09:30 AM,
(07-31-2022, 11:32 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: You could fight fight him now. No one ever said self-play and self-study students need to complete the course alone.

I've already started my first self-play game for the academy. I have the first 2 or 3 turns done and saved as a log file. What would be the best way to set that up so we can fight each other and I can get credit for the scenario?

Also, with an actual online opponent how does the whole logfile process work since each player is controlling one side? As opposed to solitaire when one player is controlling both sides and one logfile is being written by that player.

With my work schedule and trying to coordinate with goosebrown so we can play each other it might take a little longer to complete the scenario than I originally planned.