Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
06-15-2014, 06:43 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
Hello, all,

I've been a wargamer for 40 years and I recently received PG Kursk South Flank as a gift. I see PG is a popular system and I'd like to learn it but my initial efforts have not proceeded quickly.

Can anyone provide links or tips for learning resources? Videos, written EoPs, and others would be helpful, included scenario recommendations from the KSF module. I appreciate whatever information you can provide.

Happy gaming,

Tim K.
06-16-2014, 01:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 01:18 PM by zaarin7.)
The hardest part of the game to lean is the activation system. The combat systems are an outgrowth of old PL/PB/AIW system with anti-tank fire added. There is an antedated 3rd edition rule book on the opening page of this site.

The sister game South Flank, Kursk: Burning Tigers is supposed to be out soon. It will have the 4th edition rule book in it. The 4th ed book as well as the optional rules are available at the company site.
06-16-2014, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM by Brett Nicholson.)
I don't actually own KSF or have I played any of it but it's probably not the most "beginner"-friendly PG game as a lot of the older games like 'Afrika Korps' or 'Battle of the Bulge' have their first scenario in the book as a training or introductory scenario with only a few turns and a small amount of foot units to start with. As you have been a wargamer for years I am in no way discouraging you from playing KSF at all but after scanning some of the scenarios and AARS from this site there really aren't any training scenarios that I can tell from. Almost all of them are combined arms with armored, foot and bombarding units. However, without playing it, it seems that KSF #28 -"Kluichi Town" may be a good place to start as it is only ten turns long and involves mostly foot units. There are some armored units on the German end though but none on the Soviet side; however the Soviets do have some anti-tank capable batteries. But this is Kursk, only the largest tank battle of WWII so it would have to have tanks and a lot of tanks in it.

Actually the armored units aren't really too hard to play with and tank v.s. tank battles in PG aren't to complex to learn but it's the combination of many different types of units and leaders working together that can get complicated. Also you may want to check Boardgamegeek.com out for more input or info. But welcome nonetheless and good luck! Perhaps someone else here with more playing experience from KSF can help more.
06-17-2014, 12:54 AM,
Kursk South Flank has a number of small scenarios. If you use the Search functionality and select just Kursk South Flank, it returns the following page:

http://www.pg-hq.com/search.php?games%5B...ion=search

Anything with 12 turns or less and less than 60 units are good candidates for a first scenario. Kliuchi Town (scenario #28) is well rated and mostly foot units and you may want to start there.

There are a number of players who would be willing to play a teaching game on Skype if you are interested. Just post your interest in a new thread if you are interested. Tony Langston describes how to play using Skype in post #4 of the Play On Line thread lined below. It's very easy; and took me only a couple turns to get the hang of it despite no prior experience with Skype.

http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.ph...40#pid5240

I plan on writing a "How to Play Panzer Greandier" articles but I am still on the first article. They will hopefully appear as daily content on the Avalanche Press website in a month or two.
06-17-2014, 01:12 AM,
(06-17-2014, 12:54 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I plan on writing a "How to Play Panzer Greandier" articles but I am still on the first article. They will hopefully appear as daily content on the Avalanche Press website in a month or two.

I look forward to that !
06-17-2014, 01:13 AM,
Will that be based on 3rd or 4th?
06-17-2014, 01:37 AM,
4th edition
06-17-2014, 10:59 AM,
Thanks, all! Looks like the PG-HQ community is as good as I hoped.

I did get some tips from the scenario database. I dabbled a bit with KSG #10 over the weekend, and I plan to try #28 and some others. The recommendation to try a demo Skype game with a willing veteran is much appreciated. I'm well-acquainted with Skype, and I can think of a few friends who might also participate to learn PG.

Tim K.
06-17-2014, 11:17 AM,
(06-17-2014, 10:59 AM)t1M0t8yk Wrote: Thanks, all! Looks like the PG-HQ community is as good as I hoped.

I did get some tips from the scenario database. I dabbled a bit with KSG #10 over the weekend, and I plan to try #28 and some others. The recommendation to try a demo Skype game with a willing veteran is much appreciated. I'm well-acquainted with Skype, and I can think of a few friends who might also participate to learn PG.

Tim K.

Tim,

Where are you generally located, USA, Europe, Asia as well as timezone. That will help find someone close to start with. This is best one or two games start, then you can take on the world.
06-17-2014, 11:19 AM,
Quote:They will hopefully appear as daily content on the Avalanche Press website in a month or two.

I just hope the APL site comes back, hacked again.

I would be interested it you article Hugmenot. Will it just be core rules or will you include optional ones?