Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
03-02-2018, 04:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2018, 05:09 AM by Sparkr.)
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
Hey folks,  my name is Steve Sparks and I'm new to PG. 

I am a war game collector and have, for the most part stayed with miniatures. However, I have a number of block and counter games now and I decided to collect some of the Panzer Grenadier games and have found them and the rules rather intriguing.  I cannot find a video (yet) on U-Tube that shows an example of how the game is actually played by those familiar with the game.  There is one that had an aborted start and then the creator decided it was too hard to understand or play and said he was putting his games up for sale. 

The leader game mechanics is something new to me, although I am used to "command" elements in most of the miniature games I have.  The way this is interwoven with activation has taken me a little time to get used to.  A single activation, if properly done, could bring into effect a large number of forces (if I'm playing this correctly).  This rather, it seems, defeats the purpose of a game that requires players to take back and forth actions.  If I'm activating nearly my entire front line I could essentially be done (especially with a small number of units) with my turn before the other player starts there's.

The other thing I have noticed is that it's seems really hard to inflict serious casualties unless I have a number of units combining their firepower together.  A single infantry unit is going to have a hard time creating any serious injury to an opponent based upon the charts used to create morale checks, and step losses.  But, again, I could be missing something.  That is why I'm so interested in watching experienced players actually play the game.  If you have an idea where I can find a video online to see this, please let me know.

I'm an executive of a media company in Washington D.C., and when not busy working, I'm fly-fishing, bird hunting and modeling.

Thanks. 

(By the way, this is a great site...revealing that my investment in this series should be well worth it!)

Sparkr
03-02-2018, 06:25 AM,
Welcome Sparkr! You've certainly come to the right place!

You raise some interesting topics and I've pasted them into a new thread in the main General Discussion folder here. I'm afraid if people respond in this thread the content won't be easily found by subsequent visitors and searches.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-02-2018, 06:29 AM,
(03-02-2018, 04:54 AM)Sparkr Wrote: Hey folks,  my name is Steve Sparks and I'm new to PG. 

I am a war game collector and have, for the most part stayed with miniatures. However, I have a number of block and counter games now and I decided to collect some of the Panzer Grenadier games and have found them and the rules rather intriguing.  I cannot find a video (yet) on U-Tube that shows an example of how the game is actually played by those familiar with the game.  There is one that had an aborted start and then the creator decided it was too hard to understand or play and said he was putting his games up for sale. 

The leader game mechanics is something new to me, although I am used to "command" elements in most of the miniature games I have.  The way this is interwoven with activation has taken me a little time to get used to.  A single activation, if properly done, could bring into effect a large number of forces (if I'm playing this correctly).  This rather, it seems, defeats the purpose of a game that requires players to take back and forth actions.  If I'm activating nearly my entire front line I could essentially be done (especially with a small number of units) with my turn before the other player starts there's.

The other thing I have noticed is that it's seems really hard to inflict serious casualties unless I have a number of units combining their firepower together.  A single infantry unit is going to have a hard time creating any serious injury to an opponent based upon the charts used to create morale checks, and step losses.  But, again, I could be missing something.  That is why I'm so interested in watching experienced players actually play the game.  If you have an idea where I can find a video online to see this, please let me know.

I'm an executive of a media company in Washington D.C., and when not busy working, I'm fly-fishing, bird hunting and modeling.

Thanks. 

(By the way, this is a great site...revealing that my investment in this series should be well worth it!)

Sparkr
I do have a PG video under scott blanchett
03-02-2018, 06:31 AM,
(03-02-2018, 06:29 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 04:54 AM)Sparkr Wrote: Hey folks,  my name is Steve Sparks and I'm new to PG. 

Thanks. 

Sparkr
sd blanchett....I plan on making more....been too busy playing the game
03-03-2018, 06:23 AM,
(03-02-2018, 06:31 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 06:29 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote:

Thanks. 

Sparkr
sd blanchett....I plan on making more....been too busy playing the game

Ok. Thanks.  I'll take a look.
03-05-2018, 07:08 AM,
Hi all.  I bought an older copy of Eastern Front and Guadalcanal several years ago, perused the rules, but never actually broke down and played.  After letting them sit on my shelf for a year or so, I traded them both away, but I've always regretted not at least trying them out first.  

So, last week I was walking around a nearby boardgame store and found a copy of Kokoda Campaign and the Black SS book on the store's clearance rack.  I snatched them up, then traded for copies of Road to Berlin and Battle of the Bulge.  So now I'm finally ready to dip my toes into the PG waters.

I play a bit of ASL and LnLT, and some operational level games, but until now I've not had a game at this scale in my collection.  I'm pretty excited to give it a try.
03-05-2018, 04:04 PM,
Welcome aboard.
03-05-2018, 09:42 PM,
Welcome, Gocamels. You'll find platoon-level wargaming both familiar and different from squad-level ASL & LnL.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-06-2018, 01:00 AM,
Welcome!

You may want to try something like Scenario #28, Hero of the Soviet Union, as a first scenario. It's a very small scenario without armor and would play well solitaire being an urban assault. It's also more representative of the series than scenarios from The Kokoda Campaign because TKC includes disorientation rules and while cool, it's not what I would recommend as a first game.

You can see AAR's of RtB, Scenario #28 here:

http://www.pg-hq.com/library.php?type=sc...id=RtBr028
05-13-2018, 05:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2018, 05:34 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Today, PG-HQ 1LT TheDoctor commissioned as a 2LT in the US Army (active duty, armor). Off to ABOLC in one week!