Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folder for each Game & Supplement?
08-23-2013, 11:25 PM,
RE: Folder for each Game & Supplement?
Well Jay, it took a while, but it looks like we will be getting a folder for Modern PG in the near future.
08-24-2013, 04:50 AM,
I'm all for folders which cover a broad area, in my case, at the moment, the North African area, soon to move on to the Eastern front, as long as others are committed to it. Each boxed set and expansion has it's own characteristics and quirks. I know we are a few yet proud bunch of players. I still consider myself a "new" player but having devoted over a year to the Desert War games only I feel as if I could both contribute and learn a lot in that area. Just had to comment to brandish my new Nebelwerfer 41 (yes I spelled it wrong in my user name) avatar as well, thanks much to my fiancee' who seems to understand these things called computers much better than I. I still can't get her to play a round of PG with me but she does help with random minefield deployments at times. Wink
08-24-2013, 06:18 AM,
Hey Neb, you might want to PM Andrew to fix that username for you. He can do it, it's his site.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-24-2013, 06:51 AM,
(08-24-2013, 06:18 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Hey Neb, you might want to PM Andrew to fix that username for you. He can do it, it's his site.

Actually, I'll let it sit for now, at least I didn't spell panzer as panzur..lol.. I don't know who Andrew is by user name. I'm trying to learn German here in Germany and it's easy to get jumbled up with spelling and grammar between languages; some things are very similar in the languages but it's very easy to get thrown off course. Nebelwurfer/nebelwerfer was a totally random decision for a user name and actually have never used the unit in my PG games. The German translation means something like "fog thrower", and I remember it mentioned from 'Sgt Rock' comic books in my youth, where they seemed to have a section in almost every issue listing German units by name. I know I can't be the only one to have had a collection of 'Sgt Rock' comics along with 'The Unknown Soldier' and 'Weird War' from DC comics.... then there were the Charleston comic series such as 'Fightin' Army', etc.. the funny thing is that "wurfel" actually means cube or dice in German so perhaps there is a joke in the mispelling itself.
08-24-2013, 07:01 AM,
You gotta love multilingual puns! I've only managed one or two myself. Andrew is Shad and Shad is Andrew.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-24-2013, 07:31 AM,
(08-24-2013, 07:01 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: You gotta love multilingual puns! I've only managed one or two myself. Andrew is Shad and Shad is Andrew.

Ah so! perhaps it's kind of like a 'Fight Club' identity ...well, this site has been very informative so far and like it as is but hopefully it will continue to grow along with interest in PG, as analog/cardboard gaming is a rarity amongst modern gamers. As far as the folders go it is a nice idea but really, out of almost 600 members it seems only about 10 or more are active on a weekly basis. I'm just glad there are still others that haven't totally gone over to computer/PC gaming. Hopefully soon I can sort out some shared plays soon but the one thing about PG is that it really is good for solo plays in most cases. I am also glad that AP continues to take chances with releases. I was really worried that 'Fall of France' wouldn't have such a high turnout but it seems to have had a lot of plays here. So if FoF can stay in print, I am very much looking forward to the slated 'Conquest of Ethiopia' and 'An Army at Dawn' to be released soon. I suppose in regards to separate theater of war folders it seems like a novel idea but am very happy with the format as it is as well. I can see where expansions like 'Hopeless but not Serious' fit in with the WWII scheme but 'Infantry Attacks' and 'Sword of Israel' are a bit off the mark and should be separated.... well, it's out of my hands but happy either way that it all pans out.
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM by Shad.)
(08-24-2013, 07:31 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: As far as the folders go it is a nice idea but really, out of almost 600 members it seems only about 10 or more are active on a weekly basis.

It's closer to 30 registered members dropping by per day, with a fair number of guests and lots of lurkers.

Of course almost all the yammering in the forum comes from a select few (myself included! Big Grin )

I believe the problem lies in demographics - wargamers are older, less technologically savvy to begin with. Also, PG-HQ allows access to almost all of its content without needing to sign-up. If you're not the kind of person who likes to record your plays (and many don't care about this), you really would never need an account.

I've always hated sites that make you sign-up to see anything, though, so I'm willing to suffer the consequences of a free and open database.

Also, I didn't notice your name spelled wrong... Blush hope no one thinks less of me for it! Wink

(and yes, names are eminently changeable)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-24-2013, 07:35 PM,
(08-24-2013, 10:00 AM)Shad Wrote:
(08-24-2013, 07:31 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: As far as the folders go it is a nice idea but really, out of almost 600 members it seems only about 10 or more are active on a weekly basis.

It's closer to 30 registered members dropping by per day, with a fair number of guests and lots of lurkers.

Of course almost all the yammering in the forum comes from a select few (myself included! Big Grin )

I believe the problem lies in demographics - wargamers are older, less technologically savvy to begin with. Also, PG-HQ allows access to almost all of its content without needing to sign-up. If you're not the kind of person who likes to record your plays (and many don't care about this), you really would never need an account.

I've always hated sites that make you sign-up to see anything, though, so I'm willing to suffer the consequences of a free and open database.

Also, I didn't notice your name spelled wrong... Blush hope no one thinks less of me for it! Wink

(and yes, names are eminently changeable)

I think I lurked around here for a few weeks before registering. Actually there are more people here daily but usually when I first check in there's probably a huge difference in time as far as the U.S. goes, escpecially the West Coast. By the time I am supposed to go to bed it is only 5 or 6 o' clock East Coast, many people just get home from work or whatever. Being retired at an early age I have a lot more free time than most I suppose.