Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folder for each Game & Supplement?
06-04-2012, 01:13 PM,
Folder for each Game & Supplement?
What do you guys think, should we have a separate folder/thread for every PG game and Supplement? It might be a cool way to find out information and discussion each one and speciial rules that only apply to each.
06-04-2012, 09:13 PM,
RE: Folder for each Game & Supplement?
I think it's a good idea Jay. I don't own all the PG titles, so it would allow me (and I imagine others) to focus on the games that interest them.
06-04-2012, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM by Shad.)
If traffic gets heavy we can always split off new folders. I'd prefer to keep it like it is now for the time-being lest we dilute the nascent discussion too much.

I do strongly suggest the use of thread title prefixes. For example:

[Beyond Normandy] Formation cohesion and nationalities

This allows people at a glance to see that your thread is focused on this particular game, and makes subsequent searches much easier. I will be aggressive in adding these sorts of prefixes whenever a thread has a clear focus. They won't all be focused, of course, but it will definitely help!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM,
Andrew, I was just hoping someday, to create a discussion, that would be separate from the general folder and have a grouping of folders within it for each Boxed Games, Each Supplement/Download/Book and so on. So for example, If I want to go into the folder of games/supplements, then into to the Nihon Silk folder, I could.

But hey, just an idea, even for the future.

(06-04-2012, 09:39 PM)Shad Wrote: If traffic gets heavy we can always split off new folders. I'd prefer to keep it like it is now for the time-being lest we dilute the nascent discussion too much.

I do strongly suggest the use of thread title prefixes. For example:

[Beyond Normandy] Formation cohesion and nationalities

This allows people at a glance to see that your thread is focused on this particular game, and makes subsequent searches much easier. I will be aggressive in adding these sorts of prefixes whenever a thread has a clear focus. They won't all be focused, of course, but it will definitely help!
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM,
(06-05-2012, 12:39 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Andrew, I was just hoping someday, to create a discussion, that would be separate from the general folder and have a grouping of folders within it for each Boxed Games, Each Supplement/Download/Book and so on. So for example, If I want to go into the folder of games/supplements, then into to the Nihon Silk folder, I could.

But hey, just an idea, even for the future.

Understood. But I think we would need another zero on the end of that total members number to generate enough traffic where 65+ folders would make sense.

Maybe an intermediate step could be by theater. I don't think there are too many multi-theater games?

General PG growing to become East Front / West Front / Africa / Pacific / Other and then growing into specific game folders would be a more gentle diversification.

Or we could branch off on a per-game/as-needed basis. So for example of suddenly there was a glut of posts about Kursk clogging up this folder we could create a Kursk folder. No rule requiring all 65 folders be made at once, after all. Smile
06-05-2012, 04:31 AM,
I would very much like to see separate folders for each game/supplement. Otherwise we ultimately run the risk of having it difficult to find things in the one huge folder, one of the biggest complaints about CSW.

And rather than grow later, why not just take the few hours to set up the folders now, and then you don't have to worry about splitting them in the future. I'm fine with top level folders of East Front/West Front/Etc., with subfolders under there for the individual games/supplements.
06-05-2012, 07:59 AM,
I ain't making 65 folders so 50 of them can sit empty. That's a usability nightmare.

I propose a compromise:

I'll give you theater folders. Within those, if a specific game gets 3 threads devoted to it I'll upgrade it to it's own folder inside that theater and punt all the threads into it.

Off the top of my historically ignorant head, theater list would be:
  • Western Front
  • Eastern Front
  • Africa
  • East Asia
  • Other

Would that cover everything?
06-05-2012, 08:03 AM,
Maybe Pacific and North America (for the Chihuahua Incident and Jay's War of the Worlds scenario) and South America...come to think of it, Western Hemisphere works best for the later 3 as it also includes To Hell With Spain's Cuban scenarios.
06-05-2012, 08:07 AM,
(06-05-2012, 08:03 AM)larry marak Wrote: Maybe Pacific and North America (for the Chihuahua Incident and Jay's War of the Worlds scenario) and South America...come to think of it, Western Hemisphere works best for the later 3 as it also includes To Hell With Spain's Cuban scenarios.

Ok, good suggestion. How about:

Off the top of my historically ignorant head, theater list would be:
  • Western Front
  • Eastern Front
  • Africa
  • East Asia
  • Americas

Where would one stick scenarios about Italy or India?
06-05-2012, 08:18 AM,
My humble suggestion:

Western Front
Eastern Front
Africa/Med/Italy (AMI?)
Pacific
Other

Subdivisions of New World vs. India vs. Mars in my opinion are of interest only for a very small proportion of the total scenario play/interest logged at PG-HQ. I'm not making a value claim here, simply suggesting adherence to proportionate effort.

::ducks::