Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger II
08-09-2012, 06:09 AM,
RE: Tiger II
(08-09-2012, 03:35 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: In my case, I cheat. I play a lot of PG, but almost never do I play a scenario to completion. I usually pull the plug somewhere in the middle depending on my mood. I call a game when I feel that one side has substantially fulfilled its victory requirements, lost too much momentum (or units), or if I simply tire of the scenario. I like the variety that PG provides, but prolonged play of a game in which the outcome isn't really in doubt can become tedious.
I also cheat but in the other direction; I often start over a scenario 1, 2, or 3 times before completing it. The idea is for me to get a feel for the scenario before I play it more seriously.

I guess you cannot take the serious out of a competitive chess player.
08-09-2012, 06:26 AM,
(08-09-2012, 03:43 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: To Hugmenot:

The comment of mine from an earlier post that you addressed was essentially rhetorical - at least that is what I intended. I'm sorry that you had to take time addressing it as though it were literal (and I mean that, not as a backhanded swipe).
No reason to be sorry; I am responsible for not reading your post in context.

I have lived in one extreme or another for long periods of time so, for me, there was nothing really that unusual about a high number of plays.
08-09-2012, 06:59 AM,
(08-09-2012, 06:09 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 05:16 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

Just on that note, and to be fair to Wayne, I think the point made was that these two scenarios are absolutely intense and very very time consuming (most intense I've played I think). Given it took Wayne and I circa 16 hours to play one, then its easy to see why 2 of them plus one other in a day appears very fast.

Vince & Wayne:

I felt that since the insinuation was made in an open post, a public reply was required.

Absolutely no probs with a public reply PY.

My interest (from my initial post) was that I just wanted to take the chance to hear another's experience with this scenario as it sticks with me like AH Squad Leader's 'HILL 621' always has.
08-09-2012, 07:10 AM,
^
TheDoctor's AAR has now been published if you'd like to read it.
08-09-2012, 07:21 AM,
cool !
08-09-2012, 07:43 AM,
PY,

I've taken the time to construct a reply (comment) on his AAR.

Great scenario and again I say. You seriously missed out letting him solo that one.

Vince
08-09-2012, 07:54 AM,
(08-09-2012, 07:43 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

I've taken the time to construct a reply (comment) on his AAR.

Great scenario and again I say. You seriously missed out letting him solo that one.

Vince

Well, I do have him under roof for another 2-3 years ... so perhaps we'll give that one another go ftf. If you and Wayne are up for a recommendation in turn, take a look at "Caught in the Flank" from Black SS.
08-09-2012, 08:36 AM,
Knowing all parties involved, I think it's safe to say that no one was questioning the authenticity of the plays recorded.

You can be certain that when Vince wants to question the authenticity, he will directly question the authenticity. The man does not beat around the bush.

Rather, they were expressing amazement at TD's endurance and a reasonable desire to hear the details considering his result was opposite theirs.

In any case, it seems to have happily resolved itself while I was sleeping, so good on you lads for exercising restraint during a bit of misunderstanding.

Tangentially, when I was in high school we used to regularly organize LAN parties and play FPS games on the PC from 2000 to 0800 the following morning. In terms of mental focus required I think FPS games are especially draining. These days I can't muster much more than 90 min of focused play, so things definitely change as you age.

Also, as mentioned, face-to-face play is WAY slower than solo for just about anyone I'd imagine.

Lastly, resolving assaults in your head is an impressive feat PY, give the lad a thumbs-up for me! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-09-2012, 03:49 PM,
(08-09-2012, 03:33 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 03:11 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: Ah to be 15 again, or perhaps not, I seem to remember a lot of angst during my adolescent years. I know both Vince and I have raised eyebrows over other peoples scenario output but really we were commenting on Iron Line South because it was a scenario which was so demanding in time and effort but then we both really old.
I resent that remark because I am just a few years younger than you two.

I wrote after just finished a 60 min run and I was feeling really old Big Grin
08-09-2012, 10:30 PM,
Quote:I wrote after just finished a 60 min run and I was feeling really old

Wayne, I though I saw you on the Olympic replays. Good job bringing up the GB medal counts Big Grin