PG-HQ Forums
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=162)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - saracv3 - 11-25-2020

Owning almost the entire run, I might recommend Army at Dawn or Afrika Korp. My reasoning is that these games have some decent armor v. armor scenarios. If you don’t care about that, Fall of Frame is good; as a beginning player, you might avoid Dunkirk and Crete. There are some misprints in Crete (although it has become my favorite game) and the special rules in Dunkirk are more complex than other games.

After Road toBerlin and beginning with Fall of France, map designer Guy Riessen took over the artwork and started making a 3D look and added more colorful topography, resulting in increased realism to the terrain and environs of the maps. Crete is the latest and possibly the most interesting design, although Saipan ‘44 is pretty cool.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Shad - 01-02-2021

Great to see new people introducing themselves!

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - goosebrown - 12-17-2021

Matt Brown here. In the midst of the Academy so not able to play generally although that is the goal. My mentor is Schoenwulf (Bob Piepho) and we are chunking through the scenarios and I am having a lot of fun. 

My first game was Panzer Leader which I got in about 1975. Went through a lot of Napoleonic war games and would love to play some (LET ME KNOW IF YOU PLAY) ASL and then the Assault Series from GDW. Now PzGdr and the GWAS and 2WWAS (LET ME KNOW IF YOU PLAY and have a way to play remote...)

Also a huge Europa fan. 

I think once I get out of the Academy I am looking to play Army at Dawn and Road to Dunkirk as a starter. 

Big question. Does anyone have any word on Spanish Civil War modules? I would be very interested if they came around. Hopefully some day. 

I live in Northern Oregon outside Portland and would be interested in FTF gaming.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - plloyd1010 - 12-17-2021

Hi Matt, welcome to the club.
I presume Bob explained to you why we have the Academy. If he didn't, just know that if we hadn't needed something like, we wouldn't have it. I am glad you are getting through it.
(12-17-2021, 12:58 PM)goosebrown Wrote: I think once I get out of the Academy I am looking to play Army at Dawn and Road to Dunkirk as a starter.
If that is your complete PG library on your profile page, you should learn to use the player matching tool. The issue is that we can't give much scenario support. That is why numbers of counters and setup information is not available. On the other hand, lots of people want to play. You shouldn't have too much trouble.
(12-17-2021, 12:58 PM)goosebrown Wrote: Big question. Does anyone have any word on Spanish Civil War modules? I would be very interested if they came around. Hopefully some day. 
So far as I know, there was never official Spanish Civil War support planned. That could change any day. Until then it is up to miscreants like me.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - goosebrown - 12-18-2021

(12-17-2021, 02:10 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: >>Hi Matt, welcome to the club.
I presume Bob explained to you why we have the Academy. <<

Thanks! And I don't mind a bit. I appreciate the conversation. I have problems with rule books and although I have an idea this or that may need to be done and understand why, walking through it with a mentor is by far the best way for me personally to learn. This doesn't seem to be a hardship to me.

>>I am looking to play Army at Dawn and Road to Dunkirk<<
>>If that is your complete PG library on your profile page, you should learn to use the player matching tool. The issue is that we can't give much scenario support. That is why numbers of counters and setup information is not available. On the other hand, lots of people want to play. You shouldn't have too much trouble.<<

My physical library is Beyond Normandy, Afrika Korps, Desert Rats and Eastern Front. I want to upgrade that and the early war in Europe seems to be most interesting to me. I read Army at Dawn so it would be fun to get that and work through it as a game as well. Dunkirk seems interesting because I want to do the tank battles around Arras. The Fall of France would be fun too. Funds are limited so if i find someone that is willing to play, I will pick one and buy it. Even though I said I am interested in early war, that Kursk bundle for the Gold Club looks really interesting. I just read a book on Kursk that was pretty interesting. All the archetypal tanks you think of in the war on the Eastern Front.

>>So far as I know, there was never official Spanish Civil War support planned. That could change any day. Until then it is up to miscreants like me.<<

i figured that with the Eastern Africa and Ethopia campaigns, then the Gold Club coverage of some of the very minor combatants, there would be a goodish chance of SCW coverage. Spent a lot of time in Spain and there were reminders everywhere even in the university hall I was in that was all bullet pock marked. I figure obscure? Well then there's a chance. 

Also just read a book on Tarawa and would be excited to play that one out too. Just a lot of sand and reef.

Anyway. Thank you for the welcome. Hope to be a regular member soon as I can be. 

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Markm50 - 12-18-2021

Greetings folks;
I’m Mark Merritt, an old retired Wargamer who plays PG once in a while.  I live down here in Jacksonville Florida, and have since about 1999.  I retired from the Navy in 1997 and did all sorts of things until I pulled the RETIRED switch for real in 2018.  I’m married, my wife is also retired.  We have one daughter who is all grown up and out of the house. 

Since then I’ve gamed weekly with a group of 5 retired dudes that enjoy the games.  We don’t play PG in that group, although I have introduced it to some of them.  We focus on big meaty games, to fit on my 12’ X 8’ table.  

In any case, I like PG and especially Infantry Attacks.  I have most of the PG games/modules, Not all, but most.  I’m not into the counterfactual stuff much, I’d rather just stick to history.  

I’ve known about this site for years, but I figured I didn’t need another social media thing.  Well, I left most of the social media accounts in the past year, and this seems focused on stuff I’m likely to care about more.  So, here I am!

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Greyfox - 01-17-2022

(12-18-2021, 04:18 AM)Markm50 Wrote: Greetings folks;
I’m Mark Merritt, an old retired Wargamer who plays PG once in a while.  I live down here in Jacksonville Florida, and have since about 1999.  I retired from the Navy in 1997 and did all sorts of things until I pulled the RETIRED switch for real in 2018.  I’m married, my wife is also retired.  We have one daughter who is all grown up and out of the house. 

Since then I’ve gamed weekly with a group of 5 retired dudes that enjoy the games.  We don’t play PG in that group, although I have introduced it to some of them.  We focus on big meaty games, to fit on my 12’ X 8’ table.  

In any case, I like PG and especially Infantry Attacks.  I have most of the PG games/modules, Not all, but most.  I’m not into the counterfactual stuff much, I’d rather just stick to history.  

I’ve known about this site for years, but I figured I didn’t need another social media thing.  Well, I left most of the social media accounts in the past year, and this seems focused on stuff I’m likely to care about more.  So, here I am!

Welcome to the club Mark.   I am about a 18-21 months away from retiring from that Army (it will be over 27 years when I do).  Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but still have another 15-20 years  of additional work before I can think of becoming a full time warmer.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - plloyd1010 - 01-18-2022

(12-18-2021, 04:18 AM)Markm50 Wrote: I’ve known about this site for years, but I figured I didn’t need another social media thing.  Well, I left most of the social media accounts in the past year, and this seems focused on stuff I’m likely to care about more.  So, here I am!

One of the best life choices you could have made, dumping social media, but PG-HQ is up there too. Welcome to the club.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - PzIVF2 - 01-28-2022

[attachment=1605]

Greetings, all.  Rick Taylor here.  Retired US Army Officer.  Hoosier born and bred; currently located NE Indiana.  60 years old as of 12-31-2021. Equally interested in AP's SWWAS and Panzer Grenadier, although play is sporadic.

Have dabbled in wargaming for some time.  Tried to master City Fight back in the 90's, but found it too tedious to play.  However, I did use it a few times as a training model for operations orders.  In the recent past have played miniatures, in both medieval and pike-and-shot eras, using Lego figurines and some (very modified) on-line rule-sets.

Early military career twelve years as an infantry officer, three spent as an assistant battalion operations officer - probably a record for position longevity.  Responsible for planning tactical training as well as the battalion maneuver scheme in the field.   So, I am quite familiar with and enjoy combined arms tactics.   

I like Panzer Grenadier because of its emphasis on the integration of leadership and morale, while nevertheless being quite playable.

Despite this perception, I am finding the transition from real-world terrain and tactics to game mechanics difficult.  Assault combat particularly vexes me.

rt

P.S.  How does one add an icon to the user?

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - plloyd1010 - 01-28-2022

(01-28-2022, 11:51 AM)PzIVF2 Wrote: How does one add an icon to the user?

Hi Rick. Click on User CP, up near the top. Scroll down watching the left side. You will find a section called Your Profile. In there is a link to change your avatar.

No one else likes assaults either.