PG-HQ Forums
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=162)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - wargamer1939 - 07-13-2020

Well hello all,
 Mark Ruggiero here been wargaming since I was ten 1975. So like a lot Im in my mid fifties. Im new to panzer grenadier. But have many wargaming passions. Im new but all in we wont discuss how much product I have :}  I work 65 plus hours a wekk and hope to somedaay do the vassal Academy. But  I do prioritize some gaming time in as often as possible. Im avaialble for FTF play and live in northern California. Ive tried emailing folks on the opponents part of the page with no luck. Luckily I have an active gaming group and already have some interest in trying this series.  I play other wargames but my main passions right now are. GMT games A world at war, Grognard sims Deathride series, Diffration TSWW series and now Panzer Grenadier. Look forward to posting some AAR etc and participating as much as possible.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Shad - 07-14-2020

welcome, Mark! More AARs are always a good thing!

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Juiceman - 10-07-2020

Greeting to everyone, my name is Charlie, aka Juiceman, I have been war gaming since the late ‘70s when a friend introduced me to AH Air Assault on Crete and have been hooked ever since.    It was in college at a local hobby shop that hosted games in their back room that I got introduced to miniatures, starting out with America Civil War, then micro armor and finally an air combat simulation using 1/72 scale models with wooden stands called Mustangs & Messerschmitt’s, not sure what was more fun the game or building the airplanes. 

Continued to play board games & this air combat simulation during my first career but those games fell out of favor during my second career which required too much time & travel away from home.  To get my fix turned to computer war gaming.

Onto my third career now and during the recent unpleasantness was searching on the net for a computer naval simulation when I came across the Avalanche Press website and was drawn to the PG game system.  Purchased my first PG game, the Kokoda Campaign, I like the obscure battles or times in history.   Soon after purchased 4 more games on sale and joined PG-HQ. 

What a great website, it has been very helpful being a rookie to the game system, reading all the posts by the veterans of the site, downloaded some of the cheat sheets & charts, if I have a question I can usually find the answer in the forum.  Will try to post some AAR's but I am no Hemingway. 

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Shad - 10-07-2020

Welcome aboard, Juiceman! I'm glad you've found this site to be helpful so far. You've got a tremendous amount of wargaming experiences across a lot of genres and time periods! Are you a Vassal player?

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - cjsiam - 10-08-2020

(10-07-2020, 11:48 PM)Shad Wrote: Welcome aboard, Juiceman! I'm glad you've found this site to be helpful so far. You've got a tremendous amount of wargaming experiences across a lot of genres and time periods! Are you a Vassal player?

Become a VASSAL Player....

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Juiceman - 10-08-2020

(10-07-2020, 11:48 PM)Shad Wrote: Welcome aboard, Juiceman! I'm glad you've found this site to be helpful so far. You've got a tremendous amount of wargaming experiences across a lot of genres and time periods! Are you a Vassal player?

Shad not really familiar with the Vassal system, have seen the link but have not stuck my toe in that pond yet.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - cjsiam - 10-13-2020

(10-08-2020, 11:31 AM)Juiceman Wrote:

Shad not really familiar with the Vassal system, have seen the link but have not stuck my toe in that pond yet.

Imagine setting up a huge game....and being able to play turns anytime, for any amount of time, nothing to set up every time, nothing to worry about being jostled....
And then, Imagine setting up a 2nd one at the same time...or a 3rd....to taking a different tack from turn 5 and playing out that game.....

Vassal is cool.
and with Discord you can pick up the pieces of someone 1/2 way around the world (like I'll soon be Smile )

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - SteveBEsq - 11-07-2020

Hello, I'm Steve. A 60 year old NYC lawyer (but other than that a nice guy).

I was an avid wargamer in my early days playing endless games of the AH classics and the old SPI quads and folio games. Over the years the pressure of WKM (wife/kids/mortgage)kept me away from the hobby but every so often I would pull one of the old ones out just to remember the fun I had with them.

The pandemic and ongoing lockdowns got me back into the hobby but after having lost most of my old collection to a broken water heater years ago I have been slowly rebuilding. I have been looking for a tactical system which strikes the sweet spot of not to wonky but also not to simplistic and based on the numerous reviews I have read and videos I have watched  it seems PG is the way to go.

I will be ordering my first game in the system and am still torn as I love the variety of campaigns available. I am presently torn between Fall of France/Kokada or the two Korea games. I'm not much of an Eastern Front guy and over the years have been Bulge and D-Day saturated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - plloyd1010 - 11-08-2020

(11-07-2020, 01:58 PM)SteveBEsq Wrote: Hello, I'm Steve. A 60 year old NYC lawyer (but other than that a nice guy).

I will be ordering my first game in the system and am still torn as I love the variety of campaigns available. I am presently torn between Fall of France/Kokada or the two Korea games. I'm not much of an Eastern Front guy and over the years have been Bulge and D-Day saturated.

Welcome to the club Steve. I suggest you stay out of the jungle on your first game. Kokoda is a good game, but jungles are just hard to fight in. If you will be playing with Vassal, the Korean War games are not supported yet, but otherwise good choices. Fall of France is good choice. It is fairly conventional in structure and good amount of variability. If you decide to swing toward North Africa on your first game, I suggest Army at Dawn over Parachutes Over Crete, for similar reasons.

As I mentioned, there is an online option. It has a hoop you need to jump through, sorry it is an APL requirement. If you are interested we can walk you through that too.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - SteveBEsq - 11-08-2020

(11-08-2020, 12:21 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 01:58 PM)SteveBEsq Wrote: Hello, I'm Steve. A 60 year old NYC lawyer (but other than that a nice guy).

Thank you. I was checking Noble Knight and I can get Africa Korps, Desert Rats and Army at Dawn for the same price as Fall of France and Road to Dunkirk so I am now torn between those options. More gaming opportunities than the Korea choices (plus I don't have to worry about killinig my father or my uncle).

Of those options (France 40 or North Africa 40-43) which would you suggest?

Welcome to the club Steve. I suggest you stay out of the jungle on your first game. Kokoda is a good game, but jungles are just hard to fight in. If you will be playing with Vassal, the Korean War games are not supported yet, but otherwise good choices. Fall of France is good choice. It is fairly conventional in structure and good amount of variability. If you decide to swing toward North Africa on your first game, I suggest Army at Dawn over Parachutes Over Crete, for similar reasons.

As I mentioned, there is an online option. It has a hoop you need to jump through, sorry it is an APL requirement. If you are interested we can walk you through that too.