PG-HQ Forums
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Printable Version

+- PG-HQ Forums (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms)
+-- Forum: Panzer Grenadier (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.pg-hq.com/comms/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=162)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - zacharycbruce - 01-07-2019

Lately mostly at the club, I tend to go through periods where I make an effort to improve and play online a lot, and solve problems etc. When online I play on Fox. Have you played for long? What is your rank? I'm sitting at 1k on Fox.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Shad - 01-07-2019

(01-07-2019, 12:43 PM)zacharycbruce Wrote: Lately mostly at the club, I tend to go through periods where I make an effort to improve and play online a lot, and solve problems etc. When online I play on Fox. Have you played for long? What is your rank? I'm sitting at 1k on Fox.

It's nice to have a good club nearby. I play on PandaNet(IGS) and OGS mostly, with the occasional foray to Tygem. I got as high as 8k before getting bogged down with work. I've been playing off and on for about 4 years. Haven't tried Fox yet, but have heard good things at lifein19x19.com Smile  Welcome aboard!

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Hugmenot - 01-08-2019

What are the favorite time controls for online Go?

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Shad - 01-08-2019

(01-08-2019, 04:06 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: What are the favorite time controls for online Go?

It depends on where you play...

At www.online-go.com ("OGS") the default setting is Fischer time with 10 minutes + 30 seconds per move up to 5 minutes max, then 5 x 30 byoyomi.

PandaNetGo (IGS) uses Canadian timing and the default setting is 5 minutes + 25 stones in 10 minutes which means you have 24 seconds on average to play a move, and once you play 25 stones the timer resets to 10 minutes.

OGS allows you to use basically whatever setting you please, whereas PandaNet boxes you into several different lengths of Canadian timing.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Ash308X - 05-27-2019

Hello Everyone,

Old to the war gaming hobby, but brand new to Panzer Grenadier.

I live in the middle of nowhere-ville Florida (Sebring), so I will have to travel to find any modules, but via Facebook I have a copy of Eastern Front, along with Guadalcanal.  Bought Invasion 1944 directly from AP, so I think that I'm off to a good start. (but if there is anything great for the new guys like myself, please advise).

This is probably a question that has been asked to death... so please show me (some) leniency: is there a set of published solo rules? or have any members collected a 'system' of sorts... an 'AI'?  If not, I would be more than happy to join in on the discussion & help out if possible.

Thank you to everyone in advance, I know I have a long way to go, but I hope to be a benefit to the community as a whole and contribute to the AARs & make some new friends.

Ash

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Hugmenot - 05-27-2019

Welcome Ash!

There are no solitaire rules except for hidden units. I play PG solitaire like I play my chit pull games: I set a few plans for each side and then play my activations to advance those plans. I review the plans every 4 or 6 turns. An important thing for me is not to overthink and try to optimize every activation; I am more interested in seeing the story unfolding at a brisk pace than in minimizing errors. I allocate odds (something like 1-3 do A, 4-5 do B, 6 do C) and roll a die when there are multiple viable options for an activation.

I prefer PG opposed but I think it plays very well solitaire.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Ash308X - 05-28-2019

Hugmenot: this makes great sense... I will try this; make some notes and see if I can expand upon it--but it would be scenario based; what are the opposing side's objectives... Thank you for this, I appreciate it very much.

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Hugmenot - 05-28-2019

You may want to try a small to medium Urban Assault scenario first because the defenders usually have limited options as to the strategy after the initial setup. There still should be plenty of tactical choices to make.

To see which scenarios are Urban Assault, click Search from the main PG-HQ site --> Basic Search and then look for the section titled Scenarios Must Have at Least One of These Battle Types, Urban Assault is one of the options. Must Have at Least One of These Battle Types Must Have at Least One of These Battle Types

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - Poor Yorek - 05-28-2019

One "trick" I learned or used as an only child was to move to the other side of the board(s) when playing the "other" side.  This ploy worked well in adulthood with PG.  And, like Hugmenot, sometimes I just assign random variation - especially with unit movement not along roads.  

The thing about solo play is that one drops the competitive win/lose point of view and takes on the perspective of what would I do as a platoon leader for this side in this situation.  

Btw, another thing one can do is consider the leader's morale as an RP element - a LDR with a morale of 7 or even an 8 with no modifiers might be likely to react more out of reflex or fight/flee vs. a 9 or 10 morale, especially with bonuses - especially if the "weaker" leaders get isolated from chain activation from a "stronger" one.  Put another way, leaders with a 1 or even a 2 combat bonus I play "smart" even with possibly meta-gaming as a substitute for the German term fingerspitzengefuhl or battlefield intuition; whereas lesser leaders "activate" more straightforwardly or even cautiously.  

RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - plloyd1010 - 05-29-2019

(05-27-2019, 07:50 AM)Ash308X Wrote: I live in the middle of nowhere-ville Florida (Sebring), so I will have to travel to find any modules, but via Facebook I have a copy of Eastern Front, along with Guadalcanal.  Bought Invasion 1944 directly from AP, so I think that I'm off to a good start. (but if there is anything great for the new guys like myself, please advise).

My first suggestion for those outside of somewhere is online gaming. Check the Vassal section.

Now, how did Florida get a prairie reserve? And welcome to the club.