Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parachutes Over Crete - sell me on it
03-04-2020, 09:45 PM,
RE: Parachutes Over Crete - sell me on it
Cuz it’s neato, man. I did some research on your collection, General. Haven’t played a game since 2010: except for starting the ASSAL?

Seriously, I thought why do I even want this game? Well, I had to complete my collection, just like Afrika 1944, Slovakia’s War and Africa Orientale Italia. To complete my collection is to collect historical games. And chase Robin for#1 completion.(Yeah right ! ) Tongue

But it is mainly that Crete is a piece ofWWII history I had a chance to explore. One push was seeing a biography of Max Schmeling , the great boxer, who was a German paratrooper The new concepts include prodigious use of paratrooper attack, a type of warfare that would literally fall from grace as a German typology of tactical offense as a result of the tough Battle. Both sides lost over 13,000 men killed. I know very little about Crete, Greece 1940-1941 or the Balkans before this game came out.

When compared to various stand-alone PG games, it has the feel of a Dunkirk or a later game with smaller Jay Townsend scenarios and the standard Matt Ward battle game touch. These “mini-campaign write-ups have now become a staple feature in PG games, supplements and extensions. They come from an increased desire to add more historical background, but there could eventually morph even more complex principles into the writing such as maps, charts and bibliographic notes.

In closing, the maps are again somewhat dark and confusing like Dunkirk’s, but not quite as bad. No doubt, not to take Peter or Dr. Mike to task, but to point that color glossy TEC’s are desirable and necessary in dealing with these interesting but subtle Riessen terrains. I know just enough about glossy printing to know that it can be done; albeit expensive
, but it can be done. Also, there was no excuse for the missing town in Map 98. That should be replaced upon request as APL. policy has been to replace missing unit sheets upon request.

a

Messages In This Thread
Parachutes Over Crete - sell me on it - by Shad - 03-01-2020, 09:25 AM
RE: Parachutes Over Crete - sell me on it - by saracv3 - 03-04-2020, 09:45 PM