Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows update destroyed my logfile!
02-11-2020, 06:05 PM,
Windows update destroyed my logfile!
Welp, after spending a good hour or so learning about VASSAL and generating a rather snappy and humorous logfile (or so I thought!) through Turn 2 of the First Mentoring Scenario for PG-Über, I saved my VASSAL game file (not the logfile, apparently you don't do that until the end, of course!), then was going to turn in for the night, but as I was going to set my laptop to sleep, I saw the "update and shut down, update and restart" options and figured, "yeah, I saved the thing so let's do that". 

Big Mistake.

So the screen comes up with the "these things are preventing update", one of them being VASSAL, and I'm like "uh oh", so I stop the shutdown/update, but one of the VASSAL icons in the taskbar or whatever (there are always 2, except for now) has shut down, and the other one doesn't show me the game. Uh oh. 

So I get it to update. When it comes back, I start up the game I had saved, expecting to see the comments, dice rolls, etc., that I had SAVED, right?

WRONG!

All that stuff is gone. I still have all the pieces in the right places, but the logfile option on the menu says "Start Logfile". Except it's supposed to say "end logfile" because I hadn't ended it yet (that's what you do when you ARE DONE!) Except I guess if you stop and restart, you lose all the logfile stuff (I don't see any file with the name I had assigned that file when I started the logfile).

So, am I screwed, or is that stuff hiding in the file somewhere? And if not, how do I satisfy the PG-Über requirement? Can I just restart the log and submit the Turn 3-5 stuff for full credit? 

And by the way, I already have a 35-year-long contempt and hatred for Microsoft (their products were shoddy and failed me when they first started out, and still are shoddy now). My contempt had abated recently since I think Windows 10 is not that bad, but it screwed me here. 

Sorry to rant, but if anyone knows how to recover the log, I'd be grateful for the advice.

Pat

Messages In This Thread
Windows update destroyed my logfile! - by patman - 02-11-2020, 06:05 PM