Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategy Guide?
06-15-2018, 07:24 AM,
RE: Strategy Guide?
Well Marvin & Nick, how does this work for you?

You should probably check the scenario page here, if you haven't already done so. near the bottom you will find 6 AARs. The scenario has 10 recorded plays, and at least 2 unrecorded ones.

Youtube can be problematic in its results. I was specifically thinking of an Afrika Korps video. Pieces out, doing this & that, shooting and an assault. I remember something similar done with Airborne.

I'll give you my somewhat rampling run-down. This scenario was probably chosen for the demo because it has a little bit of a lot of different aspects in the game.

Soviet position and setup:Everyone not in town, or in the woods, should start dug in. The objective is to keep one undemoralized combat step in the town.
  1. There is just enough force for the town garrison (probably SMG & HMG). Put the highest morale leader there, hopefully he has a morale modifier too.
  2. One INF and the ATR should be a reserve behind the town. They are to provide reiforcement for the town once the assault begins. The ATR might get a crack at the StuG III.
  3. The other infantry should be deployed as a block (or 2) in front of the town. Their job is to buy a turn or 2 of delay.
  4. The field gun and mortar should stack together either on the hill or in the woods. They will attempt to disrupt the German;s march and break-up fire teams.
German march and deployment: The German march can take 5 turns, but the infantry & engineer can make a quick march in 3 turns.
  1. I would have the INFs & ENG quick march to engage the the soviet delaying positions. Bring a leader with a combat modifier. Also bring the StuG, but try to keep it out of LOS of, or 7 hexes away from, the Russian field gun.
  2. Have the mortars deploy in the field, hopefully within 10 of a Russian bombardment unit. Priority targets are Russian 76.2mm, 82mm, units not in town, in that order.
  3. When the field gun is spotted, use you airstrike to attempt to disable it. (Since this is a training scenario, I suugest allowing the airstrike to be redrawn, should it fail to arrive.)
  4. When there is an open path to the town, try to assault with the ENG, one INF, and the StuG. This will need to be done from 2 adjacent hexes. Be sure the StuG is in the hex which activates first, the other by subordinate activation.
  5. Give priority to the town fight, but disrupt/demoralize/kill the reserves if able.
This is a brittle scenario, meaning that it can be won or lost very suddenly. This is truer for the Germans than the Russians, but both sides need to use their options and watch their exposure carefully.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking

Messages In This Thread
Strategy Guide? - by marvinfreeman - 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by plloyd1010 - 06-13-2018, 01:14 PM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by marvinfreeman - 06-14-2018, 09:46 PM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by nick.rusch - 06-14-2018, 11:05 PM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by Shad - 06-15-2018, 12:06 AM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by plloyd1010 - 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by marvinfreeman - 06-15-2018, 08:23 AM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by nick.rusch - 06-15-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by wleonard1 - 06-16-2018, 03:31 AM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by nick.rusch - 06-16-2018, 05:11 AM
RE: Strategy Guide? - by Poor Yorek - 06-19-2018, 05:03 AM