Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step losses and M2 morale checks
10-31-2014, 10:25 AM,
Step losses and M2 morale checks
Reading through the 4th Edition rules has raised another query.

Annotated 3rd Edition rules:
7.6 A stack or individual unit that takes a step loss must take an M2 after the step loss is applied.

4th Edition rules
7.6 Any unit that suffers a step loss and survives must take an immediate M2 morale check.

Scenario:
A stack consists of a good order leader and 2 full strength infantry units, one disrupted and one demoralized.
As a result of incoming fire, they all take an M2. The leader passes, the disrupted unit becomes demoralized, and the demoralized unit fails the morale check by 3 so loses one step.

Using the annotated 3rd Edition rules I have played on in the same action segment as follows:
The leader and the 2 units each take another M2. The leader becomes demoralized, the demoralized full strength unit fails by 3 so loses a step, and the demoralized reduced strength unit fails by 3 and is eliminated. The leader and the remaining unit then take another M2, which the leader passes but the unit fails by 4 and is eliminated. The leader then takes another M2 and a leader casualty roll (6.7).

I have regarded collapses of morale in the same action segment like this as plausible, but the 4th Edition rules state that only the unit suffering the step loss takes the M2 check in which case the chain reaction would not happen.

Have I been misinterpreting the annotated 3rd Edition rules? Confused

If I have been playing correctly, is an annotation needed to the 4th Edition rules?

Tim
10-31-2014, 11:17 AM,
RE: Step losses and M2 morale checks
I have not been playing that way. In the scenario you suggest I would not have performed a second M2 due to the double demoralization. In interpreting "step loss" I thought that only numerical results (on the assault table) or Xs on the bombardment or direct fire table, were treated in that fashion.
No "minor" country left behind...
10-31-2014, 12:22 PM,
I have been playing it the same as Matt. I don't think the rule was meant as a "double jeopardy" rule, where loss by morale check would cause further morale checks, causing further loss... etc.
10-31-2014, 03:30 PM,
Tim,

The piece you quote in the annotated rules is in pink, meaning its an add on as an explaination. I think that seeing your mistake, and a fair 'literal' one by the way it is written shows that the 'pink highlighted' piece needs a rewrite.

Its original inclusion (as it is under combat and not morale) was to show that if an X (or a 1,2,3 in Assault) was suffered by a stack, then as well as the loss they need to take an M2. I agree that the way it is written looks as if it means for ANY loss. There should be something akin to

" A stack or individual unit that takes a step loss due to any fire or assault (not due to morale step-losses) must take an M2 after the step loss is applied."
11-01-2014, 06:47 AM,
Many thanks everyone for clearing that one up.
The perils of being a soloist! Blush
Tim
11-01-2014, 07:48 AM,
(11-01-2014, 06:47 AM)Bluebell88A Wrote: Many thanks everyone for clearing that one up.
The perils of being a soloist! Blush
Tim

The only silly question is the one not asked Cool