Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotting – some observations
10-28-2014, 11:31 PM,
RE: Spotting – some observations
(10-28-2014, 11:23 PM)Matt W Wrote: I hate it when we agree...

I'm sorry, I don't agree with you on that
10-29-2014, 03:27 AM,
(10-28-2014, 07:04 AM)vince hughes Wrote: In scenario 2, i just see it that the AT gun has revealed its location and therefore the newly arrived M36's attain the knowledge of his whereabouts. Remember, although we play it as a series of turns each activations, it is meant to represent a simultaneous 15 minute period and sometimes it isn't. To reconcile it in your appreciation of the situation, you need to think that although you have or may have rolled for the fire of the Shermans before the arrival of the M36's, it is in fact still going on. Even if the Shermans do not fire, maybe the AT guns are blatting away as the M36's arrived.
The problem is that the M36s arrive the next turn (or even worse a couple of turns later) and the AT guns have stopped firing by then. The M36s are more than 3 hexes away and the only way that the M36s will know exactly where they are is if the M4s or M18s inform them. This conundrum gets worse if the M4s and M18s have left the area by the time that the M36s arrive (Scenario 3). Perhaps a negative column modifier should apply when they fire DF?

Replace the AT guns with a PzIV: now the M36s are definitely going to have to take aimed shots - a better case for a negative (dice) modifier applying when they fire AT?

Tim
10-29-2014, 06:02 AM,
Why did the M36 go there in the first place?

How did he know his friends were engaged there before the move?

In by far the majority of wargames, we as 'commanders' have our units magically react to every twist and turn on the battlefield even before firing commences. I guess the 'spotted' AT is no less acceptable than responding to your opponents moves all around the board.
10-29-2014, 07:16 AM,
(10-29-2014, 06:02 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Why did the M36 go there in the first place?

How did he know his friends were engaged there before the move?

In by far the majority of wargames, we as 'commanders' have our units magically react to every twist and turn on the battlefield even before firing commences. I guess the 'spotted' AT is no less acceptable than responding to your opponents moves all around the board.
That's a very good point, especially when playing solo! Big Grin

Tim
10-30-2014, 02:30 AM,
I haven't checked but it real life the US TD platoons had direct command recon elements attached. Do US TD platoons get this recon ability even just for them selves?