Poll: Do you play GWAS and/or SWWAS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
30.43%
14 30.43%
Yes, GWAS
10.87%
5 10.87%
Yes, SWWAS
6.52%
3 6.52%
Yes, both GWAS and SWWAS
52.17%
24 52.17%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many PG-HQ'ers are also GWAS/SWWAS players?
10-15-2015, 02:57 PM,
RE: How many PG-HQ'ers are also GWAS/SWWAS players?
VASSAL was easy for me after I got used to it. For the 1st couple of tries, it confused the heck out of me.

If you're on Facebook, you can join the wargamers group there. I and several others have been posting lots of PG shots there to spread the love. Tonight, pictures of an Alaska's War scenario were posted featuring some neat custom counters and charts.

And I'm sure GWaS/SWWaS photos would also be welcome.
10-15-2015, 11:47 PM,
(10-15-2015, 08:59 AM)Coniglius Wrote: That would be cool.  I've hosted a game day here for Check Your 6 minis players since we are so close to the Air Force Museum.  Spend a morning at the museum and get a game or two in.  I have access to a large church hall with a dozen tables, perfect for gaming days, but also great for coordinating a visit.  If you wanted to make a weekend of it, see the museum one day and get some gaming in on the other.  I used to volunteer at the museum and have visited it since I was 8, so I'm pretty knowledgeable on most of it.

"Oh and Thomas.... I'm not too far away from you... I'm in Spring Hill, so we could probably meet for a ftf once in a while as well."
10-15-2015, 11:50 PM,
J6A, I think I am on that group. I'll have to watch more closely. I'd love to see somebody do a video of a game and put it up at Youtube someday. Great as a tutorial. I think I know the rules pretty well by now, but always love to see how my understanding coincides with somebody else's. Games of the GWAS/SWWAS would also be cool there, both a battle scenario and a shorter operational scenario.
10-16-2015, 01:37 AM,
(10-15-2015, 08:59 AM)Coniglius Wrote: I would love to try Vassal scenarios since I spend so much time in front of a pc!!! Problem is, I have no idea how to use Vassal  :-(

Is there a tutorial anywhere? I'm also willing to try Skype or PBeM but I hear that takes forever. I travel a lot for work and have many hours per week in the hotel twiddling my thumbs.  If any of you want a live opponent, I'm game. Oh and Thomas.... I'm not too far away from you... I'm in Spring Hill, so we could probably meet for a ftf once in a while as well.

I don't think I could handle more then one more Vassal/email game so if Thomas takes a pass we could try one if you like.

Vassal isn't too hard to get the hang of. Getting the PG mod loaded would be the most complicated part. 

Vassal isn't that much faster then pbem the way we do it... do a turn, save the file, other guy opens the file and watches the turn, then does his turn and saves the file. Repeat. All a matter of how many AS's you can chug though in a day.

Speaking of which... I owe someone a Vassal turn right now...   Smile
10-16-2015, 01:49 AM,
I'll have to pass for now, but will be interested in future attempts. Need to download and install the software and right now my home computer is an Android tablet that I don't know if VASSAL will work on. I'll check into that.
10-16-2015, 03:27 AM,
(10-16-2015, 01:49 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: I'll have to pass for now, but will be interested in future attempts.  Need to download and install the software and right now my home computer is an Android tablet that I don't know if VASSAL will work on.  I'll check into that.

Let me know how that works out. It would be interesting if I could run it on my tablet. 
10-16-2015, 07:07 AM,
I date back to GWAS 0, Black Sea Fleet published by Tibbetts (like Hastur, a name not to be spoken around Dr. B). Wasn't very impressed with PG the original, but believe it or not, the line of sight plagued Beyond Normandy sold me on the system.
10-16-2015, 10:56 PM,
(10-15-2015, 08:59 AM)Coniglius Wrote: I would love to try Vassal scenarios since I spend so much time in front of a pc!!! Problem is, I have no idea how to use Vassal  :-(

Is there a tutorial anywhere? I'm also willing to try Skype or PBeM but I hear that takes forever. I travel a lot for work and have many hours per week in the hotel twiddling my thumbs.  If any of you want a live opponent, I'm game. Oh and Thomas.... I'm not too far away from you... I'm in Spring Hill, so we could probably meet for a ftf once in a while as well.

I tried to send you an email from here but not sure how well that works. Let me know if I should PM you here or do something different. 
10-19-2015, 10:09 AM,
I did some searching and found a discussion on VASSAL for Android. Not much has been done in 2 years but they seem to be working on it.
02-26-2022, 02:20 PM,
Well this thread has been dormant for a few years but I like to think of myself as a resurrectionist. I would like to get a WAS HQ site going and do a NaVassal Academy sort of treatment. I am early in the process and thinking through how it would work. I can develop in Vassal and I can code so I have most of what I need.

If such a thing were to exist would anyone be interested in it? What would be the key features you would like to see if such a thing were to get set up?

It is really early in the thought process so knowing what people would want to see and what would not be interesting would help me put this in perspective and help to scope it all out.
Reconquista and treadasaurusrex like this post

User Experience begins with You...
Always looking for people to play PzGdr, Napoleonic Games, and Great War at Sea
(the Vassal for GWAS Mediterranean specifically).