Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nations at War Series
06-30-2012, 03:15 AM,
Nations at War Series
I also like the Nations at War Series by LnL.

So far they have:

*White Star Rising

*Operation Cobra

*Desert Heat (which still needs 18 orders to go to production)

PG is still first but I like this system as a good second system.
06-30-2012, 09:48 AM,
RE: Nations at War Series
Considering you've probably played the hell out of both of them, I'd be interested in reading your comparison/contrast thoughts on the two series.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-30-2012, 11:11 AM,
I play this with my son a lot as he does not like PG. Too long and too much to think about. Although he did contribute to the WoW scenario. But as for WSR, it is a quick play, most done within 2 hours, couple took a whole evening. With the chit draw activations are very random. Combat is quick with lots of kills to units. It is a good game and does require strategy, just not as much as PG. Maps are by the same artist as PG of late and the base game has hard board maps with the supplements just card stock. They are branching out into other nationalities, such as Poles, Canadians, French, etc as Jay can a test too. Desert Heat might look interesting but not sure it will see the light of day.
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM,
I've played two or three scenarios of NAW and many of the series it came from, WAW. I like WAW a lot as it shows the difference between WP and NATO forces very well. But with just single activation chits for most units in NAW and that the US, Brits andGermans are doctrinally similar at that level, I don't find NAW to be much different in feel than PG. Since Zi am nearly fully invested in ZPG,I am considering not buying any more NAW games.
07-01-2012, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2012, 12:30 AM by Dean_P.)
I also play both games. PG is the deeper of the two, obviously. The NAW series doesn't seem to have enough depth yet (and am not sure it ever will, quite frankly), and it also isn't focused on specific battles (although the Operation Cobra does focus on one encounter). The base NAW game has battles in Normandy, Arnhem and Remagen. With only 300 counters, the density is very light compared to PG and feels generic. You certainly don't get the "early war vs. late war" unit quality differences.

That said, playing most my games solo, I really like the chit draw mechanism.

I'm also on the fence about ordering Desert Heat. Yea, Jay... I know what you're going to say... "get off your butt and order it!!!" :-)
07-01-2012, 02:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012, 03:47 AM by JayTownsend.)
No problem Dean, Desert Heat only needs 18 more orders. I prefer PG over NaW but sometime I like to play something very light and fast, it is a great game for this and a break from my normal PG game play. Desert Heat will bring Italian units to the NaW series and open doors for an Eastern Front Game to follow. For me no big deal either way, as I still have tons of other games and unplayed PG scenarios.
07-11-2012, 07:50 AM,
(07-01-2012, 02:05 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: No problem Dean, Desert Heat only needs 18 more orders. I prefer PG over NaW but sometime I like to play something very light and fast, it is a great game for this and a break from my normal PG game play. Desert Heat will bring Italian units to the NaW series and open doors for an Eastern Front Game to follow. For me no big deal either way, as I still have tons of other games and unplayed PG scenarios.

Jay, do you know what kind of maps Desert Heat will have? Are they going to be mounted like WSR or paper?
07-15-2012, 01:24 AM,
Dean, they are mounteed like WSR I believe from following the posts.

Down to about 7-8 orders needed now! Smile
08-23-2012, 11:47 AM,
Desert Heat made the cut and is charging now! Smile
08-25-2012, 11:29 AM,
Looks like from the below posting I copied fropm the LnL CSW site, there is a Eastern Front game already in the works:

>Stalin's Triumph brings the Nations at War series to the East Front, around a city named Kursk. It's well into development. Just wait till you see the cover.