Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Books] Fighting Techniques
06-30-2012, 01:49 AM,
[Books] Fighting Techniques
Has anyone read "Fighting Techniques of a Panzergrenadier: 1941-1945" or other books in the Fighting Techniques series?

I am curious whether these book provide useful information which could help me improve my play.
06-30-2012, 03:11 AM,
RE: [Books] Fighting Techniques
Once again, we need a Panzer Grenadier history folder, pertaining to the pursuit of info on events covered in the games.

Among other things, this folder would be a perfect place for research bibliographies for the various published PG products.
06-30-2012, 05:25 AM,
(06-30-2012, 01:49 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Has anyone read "Fighting Techniques of a Panzergrenadier: 1941-1945" or other books in the Fighting Techniques series?

I am curious whether these book provide useful information which could help me improve my play.

I'll have to review my copies tonight, but my recollection is that the information in these books is too generic to help with wargaming tactics. For example, one of the best diagrams in the Panzergrenadier book shows the process of enveloping an enemy position (such as the illustration I've attached) but doesn't provide any details regarding how to actually go about doing this (task organization, timetables, where to place your artillery, etc.).

Recently I've discovered the Tactics 101 series at armchairgeneral.com and it seems promising - maybe that would help you?

Attached Files Image(s)

06-30-2012, 07:15 AM,
Two books of very worthy mention are

"Closing With The Enemy - How GI's Fought The War In Europe"

This is all about fighting against the West Wall and comes from those who were there.

Much rarer, and not sure how accessible in the US it is, but I like

"Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign In Russia" printed by the Naval and Military Press in their 'German Report Series'. Now in this one you can sense PG moves. Whether it will make you a better player ?????
06-30-2012, 11:26 AM,
(06-30-2012, 07:15 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Two books of very worthy mention are

"Closing With The Enemy - How GI's Fought The War In Europe"

This is all about fighting against the West Wall and comes from those who were there.

Much rarer, and not sure how accessible in the US it is, but I like

"Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign In Russia" printed by the Naval and Military Press in their 'German Report Series'. Now in this one you can sense PG moves. Whether it will make you a better player ?????

I second Vince's suggestion on "Closing with the Enemy", very good book. I have seen the PG series books and you can gleen some information from them. My best sources come from a long out of print magazine "Wargames Digest". Mainly for mini's but had great tactics articles that could be applied to any game.