Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
price hike France 40
08-13-2014, 06:03 AM,
RE: price hike France 40
(08-13-2014, 03:38 AM)robert t Wrote: Unless he expects to live off solely the USA market, which is fine BTW.

If PG-HQ visitor traffic is any indication, PG player base is already more than 90% American.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-13-2014, 07:09 AM,
Roberts comments have some validity.

Last PG game at a distributor here that I can find in the UK was Saipan. Nothing after that even including books. After my pre-orders via the GC, I will be unable to buy anymore games due to the upper cost and the crippling postage rates (out of APL's hands that one) and finally the customs duty. Unless a distributor in the UK is found, I have already calculated that with Wayne.B.'s custom and mine, AP will miss out on $400 of sales with games they have in the pipeline, already made and pre-orders. That's just two people ? Furthermore, whichever style of product they choose to use, they need also to concentrate on consistency of produce which is something lacking lately. For his sake, I hope he settles and INSISTS on one style soon. I think the smaller number of avatars seen at APL CSW compared to some of the other game co's may also be indicative of a dwindling but partisan fan base. Time will be the judge.
08-13-2014, 09:59 AM,
I just found Burning Tigers & Saipan advertised in a catalog mailed to me. So there is hope of distributors getting the rest of the PG line up.
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM,
Jay, where did you register to receive this catalog? Can you forward it to me if it's an electronic copy?
08-13-2014, 11:27 AM,
(08-13-2014, 04:56 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I do not share Alan's assessment of Avalanche Press. Just a 30 second search on Amazon can show that Art's Game Store is able to sell Kursk: South Flank, Sword of Israel, Russo-Japanese War, and Western Desert Force for a price equal to or lower than the price listed on the Avalanche Press website. And Art's Game Store includes free shipping.

I can't access eBay from work but I know is also an e-tailer that carries some of the newer titles that has a store front on eBay.

So there is room for Avalanche Press to sell to e-tailers.

I believe this will become more common when Avalanche Press is in a better financial position. Slightly bigger runs (the extra copies for the e-tailers), and a staff member that can assemble the games, manage relationships with e-tailers and customers, and can prepare advertisement for printed media. I am optimistic and I think it will happen (but not as soon as I predicted in the thread below).

Anyway, you may want to check the PG Product Glut thread to see what me and others have written about another similar perceived issue.

Daniel,

This is an interesting sign. One question though what is the pricing on the games sold by these online distributors?
08-13-2014, 11:57 AM,
(08-13-2014, 10:46 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Jay, where did you register to receive this catalog? Can you forward it to me if it's an electronic copy?

Its Military Issue and they have a web-site as well: www.MilitaryIssue.com
08-13-2014, 11:06 PM,
Any thoughts on AP using something like Kickstarter to produce games instead of Gold Club? I'm seeing a lot of new stuff coming that way and just wondered if it would be a helpful model for AP to try. Perhaps not for a game already in the pre-sale pipeline but one in early development.
08-14-2014, 12:02 AM,
Thomas, the pre-order bundles with free bonus countersheets sales incentives (if you order 2 or more games) were pretty much ripped off from Kickstarter. Avalanche Press gets to keep whatever fees Kickstarter usually charges for posting on its site (5% maybe?).

I am not sure whether creating a Kickstarter project would generate many more sales at this time. You still need to make people aware your project is out there and there lies the issue; Avalanche Press has done very little advertising (read next to nothing) in the past two years because of some constraints (I believe it's more time than cash at this point).

Having said that, I believe Avalanche Press should strongly consider using Kickstarter for some of their more esoteric projects once the old pre-orders are cleared. At the very least, it will tell them whether there is a market for the topic.
08-14-2014, 12:06 AM,
Kickstarter maybe an option, but a few people now wait for 2nd runs of printing due to distrusting the quality of opening print runs. That in itself will hold back some Kickstarter numbers IF 2nd print run buying becames a popular decision amongst the customers.
08-14-2014, 12:29 AM,
I think if the next two games can show good production value and consistency, then this will become but a minor or non-issue.

I have no complaints about Burning Tigers other than the markers which are printed darker than I like. But I think some (cough.. cough... Vince) will not like the 1/10" thick counters.