Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
price hike France 40
08-12-2014, 12:38 AM,
price hike France 40
Sounds like a games of 8 maps will need to be priced a minimum of $100 in the future. Verrrry interesting, as Mike has also mentioned a while back that there will be two more boxed sets from Phillipe, one I believe will be focused on Belgium and Holland.
08-12-2014, 01:28 AM,
RE: price hike France 40
No sane person should pay $100 for a wargame that's not Devil's Cauldron in size and quality.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-12-2014, 01:30 AM,
"No sane person"

We are, however, speaking of people who routinely buy games that they cannot even play due to space/time/comprehension issues...
No "minor" country left behind...
08-12-2014, 01:42 AM,
I think I got Fall of France for around £42 when it came out. That's a big rise in a few short few years. If these new style printings get shipped over here, I will be very interested to see what price they sell them from retailers for these days.
08-12-2014, 04:32 AM,
Quite honestly, APL is still a hand to mouth business. MB just can't seem to get it right. Now he is just pushing games for the sake of generating cash, unfortunately for businesses this is not a good sign.
08-12-2014, 05:23 AM,
wow, quite a price hike.
Agree with campsawyer too, not looking good as far as a healthy business model.
I'm glad I scored a copy for $15.
I can't see paying $100 plus $50 for shipping for one game especially with issues like too dark maps and scorched counters.
I don't know why this business can't be successful. It has two great series with loyal fan bases.
Both Clash of Arms and Operational Studies Group are one person businesses and are keeping afloat, so it can be done.
I guess time will tell.
Robert

PS: not being able to buy these games at my local FLGS or through on-line retailers hurts the business as well.
08-12-2014, 05:54 AM,
Are all the Fall of France pieces now laser-cut? If so, how thick are they?

Liberation '44 pieces are 1/8" thick, Burning Tigers 1/10".

If all the pieces are laser-cut. then it means for $10 more than BT, FoF gives you one additional countersheet and 4 additional maps. I think most everyone would agree $10 more for the extra components seems very (too) low.
08-12-2014, 06:03 AM,
Robert,

I can order games directly from my FLGS if one of the distributors carry the games I want. I have not done it for AVP as I've pre-ordered the games directly from Avalanche Press. It's worth a shot thought as you generally get a small discount because your FLGS will not have to put the games on the shelf and risk not selling it.

I have seen some newer Avalanche Press products in at least one e-tailer (I will edit this post if I can remember where I saw them). If I remember correctly, the price was $5 - $10 lower than the price listed on the Avalanche Press website.
08-12-2014, 07:04 AM,
I checked and no Canadian distributor carries AP games. They used to and there are a few older titles out there but nothing new. I also talked to an American game seller and he said they were promised games but the distributor came back and said they didn't receive any games to forward onward.
This will have an adverse effect on sales and hurt AP itself.
A bad road to start travelling down.
Robert

PS: $10 is not a lot for the extras you get with FoF, but that is assuming you agree BT should be $90.
I bought BT from a person for $70 in shrink which I felt to be a fair price. YMMV.
08-12-2014, 07:48 AM,
Yes, the $10 more is very little if you believe BT is priced correctly at $80.

I expect to get more than 80 hours of enjoyment out of Burning Tigers so in my case, it's was an easy purchase. I could say the same thing about the upcoming Conquest of Ethiopia. I paid only $70 for Sword of Israel and yet I have some regrets in that case because I have doubts I will ever play it. Not enough regrets to put it on my trade list just yet but that may change after Lawrence of Arabia is published.