Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franz Josef's Army
05-05-2020, 07:47 AM,
Franz Josef's Army
I am actually pretty fired up about this one. Between this and Fall of Empire, it may make another expansion or two (booklets) possible on military campaigns on the Serbian Front.

I am actually hoping for a number of obscure campaigns, but I like the obscure:

1) Africa (probably only enough for introductory volume, or a book)
2) Mesopotamian Campaigns
3) Russo-Polish Wars
4) Chaco
5) WW I - Romanian Campaign
6) Allied landings and fights in Murmansk and Archangel
7) German landings on Baltic Islands
8) Small gold club journal on Japanese Offensives in the Pacific
9) Freikorps activities 2018-2021
10) Greco-Turkish War

What campaigns or battles would you all like to see put together for this.

Mike
05-05-2020, 10:35 AM,
RE: Franz Josef's Army
On 1: I would think if you added in German East Africa, I think you might have enough.
On 3: Wouldn't the Chaco War be more of a PG game? Definitely a quality vs. quantity war. Sort of like War on the Equator, but in reverse.
On 10: Would this include or be the 2nd Balkan War? It created the watch word for starting WW1.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-05-2020, 01:37 PM,
(05-05-2020, 10:35 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: On 1: I would think if you added in German East Africa, I think you might have enough.
On 3: Wouldn't the Chaco War be more of a PG game? Definitely a quality vs. quantity war. Sort of like War on the Equator, but in reverse.
On 10: Would this include or be the 2nd Balkan War? It created the watch word for starting WW1.

On 1:  I have read a couple of books on the Campaign.  There were a number of pitched battles in the first year, and a few over the course of next three years.   Most of it was Guerrilla warfare.  Also, if limited it to East Africa you are limited largely to British Commonwealth, some Belgian, and Portuguese troops on the Allied Side. Expanding across ether entire continent opens up a number of interesting fights.

On 3:  Not sure.... The time period is early enough to be covered by these rules.  Question we have to ask, are the tactics used more similar to those practiced in the Great War, especially the early stages, or more like those practiced in the 30's.  I honestly don't know.

On 10:  No Different time period - though that would be good as well. Greco-Turkish War followed the Great War.  1919-1922.  Lead to the expulsion of all Turks from mainland Greece, and the expulsion of all Greeks from Turkey.
05-06-2020, 12:47 PM,
Chaco War: The Bolivian army was organized along [then] modern lines. A binary regiment, with battalions of 3 companies, of 3 platoons, of 2 squads, each with 2 LMGs. Their heavy weapon support is rather clumsy, initially having field cannons.
The Paraguayans start with a more primitive organization, much like earlier WW1. Their regiments are triangular, with battalions of 3 companies, of 9 sections, each with an LMG. They are trained better for infiltration and independent action on the section level, much as the late WW1 Germans. Later they switch to a triangular organization, all the way down.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-09-2020, 04:49 AM,
(05-06-2020, 12:47 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Chaco War: The Bolivian army was organized along [then] modern lines. A binary regiment, with battalions of 3 companies, of 3 platoons, of 2 squads, each with 2 LMGs. Their heavy weapon support is rather clumsy, initially having field cannons.
The Paraguayans start with a more primitive organization, much like earlier WW1. Their regiments are triangular, with battalions of 3 companies, of 9 sections, each with an LMG. They are trained better for infiltration and independent action on the section level, much as the late WW1 Germans. Later they switch to a triangular organization, all the way down.

You have a good book suggestion for the Chaco war?

Mike
05-09-2020, 05:22 AM,
For a quick rundown, I usually turn to Oprey Publishing. The Chaco War 1932–35: South America’s Greatest Modern Conflict
Farcau's book, The Chaco War 1932–35: South America’s Greatest Modern Conflict , is a medium sized book to after and a fair amount of useful detail.
Antonio Sapienz's book: The Chaco War, 1932-1935: Fighting in Green Hell, seems to be a verteran's account. I have found publications of verteran accounts vary widely as to wargame viabilty, due mostly to the intensity of the experiences. I could be useful.