Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GWAS/SWWAS players? A site of our own?
07-26-2014, 10:08 AM,
GWAS/SWWAS players? A site of our own?
I'm curious as to how many PG players also play GWAS/SWWAS. Post and advise!

I'd love to have a separate site for the naval series. Perhaps the site engine Andrew has used here could be adapted and adopted by a fan, who has the time and skills to keep it functional and up to date? I don't have the skills to create, but could be cajoled into being a caretaker in 2-3 years.

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"
07-26-2014, 11:07 AM,
RE: GWAS/SWWAS players? A site of our own?
I don't have the expertise to create the site, but I own all (and I mean ALL) of the naval games and have extensive experience doing data entry on PG-HQ. I'd be happy to do most of the data entry if someone can create the site.

Robin Rathbun
07-26-2014, 11:15 AM,
Jim,

I am on board with that too. I had talked with Shad about doing this sometime ago, but, as you said who has the time to build and maintain. I can throw a few ideas about features that would be nice and as Robin say's I have many of the games. I also still have the ship sheet tool that I showed you before, but have not completed. Once again it has fallen lower on the priority list.
07-27-2014, 12:00 AM,
I have a couple of the games but if there was a site, I would be more likely to play the games. I have played twice with Alan and it looks like a few of the Chicagoland players would be willing to play so that would give me FTF opponents. being able to log plays and even incorporating the Ship Log Tool Alan speaks about would probably do for GWAS what this site has done for PG.

I can probably attempt taking a stab at getting the site up and functional as I am a software developer by trade, however, almost all of my professional experience is in C#, VB, ASP.NET and MS SQL Server, where my knowledge of PHP/MySQL (which is what PG-HQ is developed in), is limited to tinkering around with it.

I did in fact attempt to help Shad at one point, though I would have needed to learn PHP (the MySQL isn't the difficult part) and then figure out the layout of the site. That attempt was difficult for me as I had to both find the time to get the few items worked out that he had asked me to try (I am truly sorry that I couldn't follow through on those, Shad ) while trying to learn PHP.

I would be willing to give it a try - however, it would be a SLOW process - I have become more familiar with the programming structures used in this site but still would have a long way to go.
07-27-2014, 06:59 AM,
I own several of each series and pick them up on occasion. I greatly enjoy the SWWAS series and love playing with the toys from the GWAS series. I would certainly participate by entering plays and the like.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-27-2014, 07:08 AM,
(07-27-2014, 06:59 AM)Matt W Wrote: I own several of each series and pick them up on occasion. I greatly enjoy the SWWAS series and love playing with the toys from the GWAS series. I would certainly participate by entering plays and the like.

Same here. A site might motivate me to play these more often.
07-27-2014, 07:58 AM,
James,

I own a few GWAS (factual ones just like my PG play .. so there is a correlation LOL).

Yet to play a game yet but will do on some occassion when a patient Skyper cajoles me along.
chaco likes this post
07-28-2014, 01:17 AM,
I have all but 1 GWAS games and 2 of the SWWAS games, and have been hoping to see something like PG HQ for these series. I had even mentioned it on Consimworld shortly after I found this site. Afraid I am not helpful with setting something up but would help where I am able.

Tom Oxley
07-28-2014, 04:02 AM,
I can't do anything for the site. I have 2 x GWAS games, and 2 x SWWAS games that I really want to get to playing. I thought I'd just add moral support (but my morals are questionable) Smile
07-31-2014, 10:47 AM,
I'd be happy to help, and suggest as the site develops, but cannot create it. No skill.

So: Tony, Alan, any chance of moving forward over the next year?

-Jim
"Bugs! BUGS!!!"