Poll: Decapitation should be clarified as follows:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
...it can happen an unlimited number of times in a battle, progressing further and further down the chain of command as leaders are killed.
37.93%
11 37.93%
...it can only happen once per side per battle.
62.07%
18 62.07%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] 6.72 Decapitation (Now voting for clarification! Come make yourself heard!)
06-29-2012, 03:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM by Shad.)
Exclamation  6.72 Decapitation (Now voting for clarification! Come make yourself heard!)
The rule says: "If the highest-ranking leader on a side is eliminated, no friendly unit within three hexes of where he was killed may move in the remainder of the current or subsequent game-turn. They may fire normally."

Given this situation: The force has a 1 LTC, 2 Majors, and 4 LTs: On turn 5 the LTC is immolated by an artillery barrage and all units within 3 hexes suffer decapitation for this and the next turn. The 2 majors are still alive.

On turn 10 one of the two Majors dies leading an assault that does not go so well. So, do all units within three hexes suffer decapitation? If not and then, in the next turn, the last major gets killed by a tank, does the side then suffer decapitation?
06-29-2012, 03:15 AM,
RE: 6.72 Decapitation
We've never played where you need a second decapitation check. It is an interesting thought.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-29-2012, 03:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2012, 03:21 AM by Blackcloud6.)
Well the rule does say: "If the highest-ranking leader on a side is eliminated..." At any given time, unless all the leaders are KIA or fled, then there is a "highest-ranking leader." However, one could argue that if there are two or more of the same rank, then none are "highest." But then, what happens when that level of rank is whittled down to one... then you now have a "highest" leader.
06-29-2012, 04:00 AM,
Having two leaders with the same rank has been an issue. We play that both need to die before decapitation occurs.
06-29-2012, 04:08 AM,
(06-29-2012, 04:00 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Having two leaders with the same rank has been an issue. We play that both need to die before decapitation occurs.

That is the way I am leaning.
06-29-2012, 06:19 AM,
It has been several years but I recall asking that question, too. The answer that I got is that if you have multiple "highest-ranking leaders" then the decapitation occurs only when the last such leader bites the dust. Until that happens you are good to go. (Well maybe not. If you keep losing your formation leaders then you may have bigger problems than you anticipated).
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM,
I don't believe in multiple decapitations, so in the case you mentioned I'd say units only suffer decapitation when the LTC dies. As for multiple leaders of the same highest rank, I tried to make sure there was only one leader of the highest listed rank per side per scenario, just to avoid this type of question. Still, if you do find a scenario where there's more than one leader of the highest rank on a side at start, I'd have to say all of them would have to die for decapitation to occur.
06-30-2012, 01:00 AM,
It is not clear in the rules that decapitation can only occur once to a side in a scenario. This would need a clarification from AP.
06-30-2012, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2012, 03:17 AM by larry marak.)
If decapitation feels bad now, think about how it went in first edition PG where if Battalion HQ was smoked, all units within 15 hexes were paralized for the rest of the turn and the next two complete turns.

It certainly made destroying a Battalion HQ a great goal in PG games though. I still use this in DYO's.
06-30-2012, 05:42 AM,
I don't think decapitation feels bad; I rather like the rule. I also like the notion it could happen again if the next commander gets whacked.