Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[War of the Worlds] this is basically Ogre in PG clothing, right?
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM,
[War of the Worlds] this is basically Ogre in PG clothing, right?
To those that have played the scenario, have you also play Ogre? Is it basically the same type of gameplay?

Trying to decide if I want to bother with this one, as I have a nice PnP version of Kwanchai's Ogre on my shelf that my wife made me for my birthday last year...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-29-2012, 01:48 AM,
RE: [War of the Worlds] this is basically Ogre in PG clothing, right?
Yes and no. The Tripod has only one step, and any hit, X, Demoralized, or Disrupted is enough to wipe it out. But it's darn hard to do damage in 1938, and there are 3 of them to contend with.

By the way, there is also a scenario and counters for the 1890 era invasion, in the Great War at Sea System.

This could become a universal wargame product with a lot of development by those who love the situation.

I can see it now, the CVN Ronald Reagan vs emerging Tripods. If you've seen Battleship the movie, you can watch stand-off missles strike force fields in the exact same kind of invasion.
06-29-2012, 04:08 AM,
RE: [War of the Worlds] this is basically Ogre in PG clothing, right?
Shad,

I can say no this was not designed like Orge. This was more a brain child of adapting the 1898 GWAS scenario to the 1938 radio broadcast. I was under strict orders by my son to keep it the same as the broadcast. I added the specific SSR's to have players try to think about how to destroy them otherwise it is the same. BTW, my son wanted to add the battle on Long Island that is inferred in the broadcast. Maybe next Halloween.