Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custoza - Italian Company Preparing New Game
07-11-2014, 04:46 PM,
Custoza - Italian Company Preparing New Game
Anybody else seen this pre-order for a new game on the two battles of Custoza called Fields of Doom ?

Its an Italian game company with their works in English and from what I have seen of the other games, the art and finish look professional. I have yet to check out reviews on the games which is something I will do to see what their track record is like.

http://italianwars.net/games/custoza_fields_of_doom
07-12-2014, 12:42 AM,
RE: Custoza - Italian Company Preparing New Game
Thanks for putting in on my radar.

I am going to Historicon this weekend and will keep an eye for the publisher's other offerings, especially Guelphs and Ghibellines and Strafexpedition 1916, as I am curious.
07-12-2014, 01:08 AM,
Now that's funny because I also liked the look of those two, whereas "All is Lost Except Honour" appeared to rules heavy. Maybe if we invest in a couple of these it might be something we could have a go at long-term over Skype. I've been looking at various reviews etc and those games seem solid. Have not been able to find a rules download for Custoza though.

I thought the 1812 one also looked interesting.

Pleased to have drawn your attention Daniel.
07-12-2014, 02:27 AM,
Vince, Just getting around to the daily read of PG HQ. This seems like a nice little startup company. There existing products look well built, rules are online and living, scale of he battles are a bit higher than I like but not a big deal. Shipping prices to the US seem reasonable where a single game is about $60 total. I might just be interested too, but I will let you take the plunge first and see how it fairs with you.
07-12-2014, 08:12 AM,
Alan,

All but one of them look up my street. The one I don't fancy is just too rules heavy and for me, is not worth investing that amount of effort to learn them. The rest as you say appear well produced, researched and sensibly made in tune with the subjects they represent. They have also received decent write ups where appropriate.

I will of course let you know when product is received.
07-25-2014, 06:01 AM,
Sadly, I could not find copies of these games at Historicon.

I did pick up four new GMT games - Savannah, Germantown, Saints in Armor, and Dead of Winter - from the flea market ($60 total) so all was not lost. I've opened Savannah and I am curious to try it because I have not played a siege game in over 25 years!
07-25-2014, 08:22 AM,
(07-25-2014, 06:01 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Sadly, I could not find copies of these games at Historicon.

I did pick up four new GMT games - Savannah, Germantown, Saints in Armor, and Dead of Winter - from the flea market ($60 total) so all was not lost. I've opened Savannah and I am curious to try it because I have not played a siege game in over 25 years!

Daniel,

You have pickup some good games. I will say DoW is a monster, but if you know the GBACW core rules then you are all set. Interesting battle as both sides are evenly matched with the full battle.
07-25-2014, 09:18 AM,
I enjoy the battle of Stone's River as a simulation for exactly those reasons. I have a couple different treatments of the battle and all are very enjoyable. I still lean towards the "No Better Place to Die" installment of the CWB but just picked up the new edition of DoW for my collection.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-25-2014, 11:40 AM,
The two ACW battles I like to play FtF are Murfreesboro/Stones River and Chickamauga. Both are relatively equal in force and are required to maneuver both on attack and defense. I did play NBPtD several years ago, I did like it. DoW is a bit more tedious and definitely requires a big space to play.
07-26-2014, 12:23 AM,
A funny thing is that I bought DoW for Matt in the GMT sale. I just like the weight of that box!