Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conversions to Expansions when Games Are No Longer in Production
07-10-2014, 07:40 PM,
RE: Conversions to Expansions when Games Are No Longer in Production
I actually did just check e-bay for the first time and saw some interesting PG titles there but nearly all were from the U.S. so I don't know how the shipping would add up to the cost though. I think if I were looking for something out of print and hard to come by I would try it. I saw more than one copy of 'Heroes of the Soviet Union' available along with the first print of 'Airborne' and 'Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front' at not so outrageous prices. Also some very early prints of the 'Edelweiss' and 'Artic Front' supplements as well (No 'Red Warriors' though).

I think I'm going to be fine with having enough new scenarios to play for a while as I am just now nearing half of the 112 'Eastern Front' ones but will be finishing up 'Guadalcanal' sometime this month. So I figure with getting 'Battle of the Bulge' and 'Jungle Fighting' I will be able to switch things up so that I don't get burnt out by having three different theaters of WWII at hand; East Front, West Front and Pacific. I say that but know that on impulse I may end up going an entirely different route as a local retailer still has a copy of 'Fall of France' marked down and I could buy that with cash on hand. Whatever the case I need at least one new game and soon!

Another prime reason for wanting to pick up 'Battle of the Bulge' is that I had it years ago when it was a new release, complete with the hard-mounted boards. I came close to finishing it but then I did not comprehend the 2nd edition rules that well then. I want to revisit it and try to get it right this time and finish the damned thing! Maybe even try out the 4th edition rules on it, who knows? I know I bitch and complain about the new AP a lot but really just want to complete older PG games and supplements if I can before moving on to newer ones. In regards to 'Road to Berlin' it will likely be some time before I tackle that one though I do like that there are 75 scenarios in it. Whenever possible I prefer to play earlier war games first before jumping from 1941-42 all the way to 1945. So in fact I would be more inclined to pick up 'Kursk: South Flank' and/or 'Burning Tigers' before RtB as it is set in 1943. Perhaps that's a little OCD but I like covering PG from a certain chronological angle when possible and/or completing one era or theater before jumping into another. With 'Jungle Fighting' I can be satisfied with completing the Guadalcanal campaign and then move to 'Kokoda Trail'; only after that would I feel compelled to jump forward to 1944 and tackle 'Saipan 44' and 'Marianas' (sorry Jay!)

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and will keep checking around on e-bay from time to time. :-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conversions to Expansions when Games Are No Longer in Production - by Brett Nicholson - 07-10-2014, 07:40 PM