Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SotM] 2012 July - Prepare for Battle!
07-18-2012, 09:48 AM,
RE: [SotM] 2012 July - Prepare for Battle!
I just finished this one and posted an AAR in PG-HQ.
07-24-2012, 08:25 AM,
All my traveling this month has put the kibosh on playing PzG (although I think I'm bringing KSF to WBC). Looks like I won't finish this one. I'll try for August.
07-25-2012, 06:54 AM,
I got started, thinking I would get the scenario done on a weekend when the rest of the family was out of town. Turns out I only made it through turn 7 or so before I ran out of time that weekend. I had set it up on the dining room table and left it there taking my chances that I could get it done without my kids going Godzilla on it first.

My two year old daughter ended up doing the deed to a point where I couldn't remember what was where. During those turns that I completed, I found the decisions going on to be pretty interesting. I wondered what all the German trucks were for and then read other AARs talking about the Germans driving up to the town as fast as possible.

In my game, with the Americans completely set up in the center town (yielding the removed single town hex to the Germans assuming that's part of the victory conditions), the Germans approached more carefully. The Americans won initiative on turn one and popped an illumination round successfully, so it felt like the Germans riding up in trucks was a recipe for disaster. A bunch of German infantry moved up form the southern edge into the woods in the west, and their tanks rolled in, but FOW rolls cut the first few turns really short.

As the next few turns proceeded, it seemed like a cat and mouse game with the illumination rounds. Keeping them up made the Germans proceed with care, making the trucks seem useless. The German armor hung outside of town with impunity, knocking out one of the US AT guns. Given this situation, is the smart thing to do to assault the German armor with infantry? There really wasn't anything that could hurt the tanks otherwise.

I expected the rest of the game to basically be the Germans, with the support of arty and armor pounding US forces, to have a bloody advance up to the town resulting in assault combat deciding the day. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see that prediction play out.