Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SotM] 2012 July - Prepare for Battle!
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM,
Thumbs Up  [SotM] 2012 July - Prepare for Battle!
Scenario of the Month 2012 July - Scenario Selection is Complete!

Participants have spoken and the Panzer Grenadier Headquarters Official Scenario of the Month for July 2012 is Elsenborn Ridge #16 - Crossroads: Hunting Panzers.

Participation is open to everyone! If you record a play and write an AAR for this scenario in the month of July you will receive the Scenario of the Month award*.

A special set of play and AAR bounties will also be awarded for this session, so look out!

* - details of what this actually is are still being worked out. Probably some sort of pip on your profile page for each month you've taken part, similar to stenciling fighter kills on the nose of your aircraft.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-29-2012, 01:50 PM,
RE: [SotM] 2012 July - Prepare for Battle!
This is too funny, as I copied this scenario out of the ER scenario book about 4 days ago in hopes of playing it soon! Now I will wait until July to play it and in stead play another scenario from KSF.
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM,
I just posted a small ARR for Elsenborn Ridge #16 - Crossroads: Hunting Panzers, it was a very good scenario to play on July 1st!
07-08-2012, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM by Shad.)
(06-28-2012, 11:21 AM)Shad Wrote: Scenario of the Month 2012 July - Scenario Selection is Complete!

Participants have spoken and the Panzer Grenadier Headquarters Official Scenario of the Month for July 2012 is Elsenborn Ridge #16 - Crossroads: Hunting Panzers.

I have some problems with this scenario :
1. Special rules don't state it is a Night scenario and visibility is two hexes ! If it is not night : no mod to FOW rolls, no movement limitation, no fire mod,... However, it happens in full nightime.
2. No special rule to state the fields do not exist ! In winter !?? Are they limited terrain or not ?
3. victory conditions state "tanks count double". There are no tanks in this scenario !

Any idea on this ?
07-08-2012, 06:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 09:59 AM by Shad.)
(07-08-2012, 03:15 AM)leonard Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 11:21 AM)Shad Wrote: Scenario of the Month 2012 July - Scenario Selection is Complete!

I have some problems with this scenario :
1. Special rules don't state it is a Night scenario and visibility is two hexes ! If it is not night : no mod to FOW rolls, no movement limitation, no fire mod,... However, it happens in full nightime.
2. No special rule to state the fields do not exist ! In winter !?? Are they limited terrain or not ?
3. victory conditions state "tanks count double". There are no tanks in this scenario !

Any idea on this ?

a) The first turn is 0000. That's midnight, so it's a Night scenario.
b) Yes, fields are limiting terrain unless special rules say otherwise.
c) There are tanks. Note the symbols on the German armored-vehicle counters and compare to the list in the lower righthand corner of Page 3 of the rulebook.
07-08-2012, 11:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012, 11:55 PM by Shad.)
(07-08-2012, 06:12 AM)upintheattic Wrote: Scenario of the Month 2012 July - Scenario Selection is Complete!

c) There are tanks. Note the symbols on the German armored-vehicle counters and compare to the list in the lower righthand corner of Page 3 of the rulebook.

Thanks for the quick answer.
Regarding Night scenario, it's not obvious at all when reading the 1.2 definitions on page 3 (visibility = 1 hex).
OK for fields.
Tanks vs Tank destroyers ! Ouch, this is new ! If I remember well, that particular question has already been heavily debated on consimworld (Vince & all) and the answer was just the opposite... "AFVs count double" would be best, I think.
07-09-2012, 02:39 AM,
(07-08-2012, 11:51 PM)leonard Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 06:12 AM)upintheattic Wrote: Scenario of the Month 2012 July - Scenario Selection is Complete!

Thanks for the quick answer.
Regarding Night scenario, it's not obvious at all when reading the 1.2 definitions on page 3 (visibility = 1 hex).
OK for fields.
Tanks vs Tank destroyers ! Ouch, this is new ! If I remember well, that particular question has already been heavily debated on consimworld (Vince & all) and the answer was just the opposite... "AFVs count double" would be best, I think.

I believe visibility is two hexes in this scenario rather than one because snow on the ground reflects moonlight etc. and thus increases visibility. But I'd still follow the shading on the turn-record track to determine what's a Night turn unless special rules said otherwise.

I view tank destroyers as a subclass of tank that has its own special characteristics as defined in the special rules. It's still a tank because of the symbol on the counter; if it weren't, we'd come up with a different symbol like that for armored cars and APCs.
07-09-2012, 04:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012, 04:51 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Quote:I believe visibility is two hexes in this scenario rather than one because snow on the ground reflects moonlight etc. and thus increases visibility. But I'd still follow the shading on the turn-record track to determine what's a Night turn unless special rules said otherwise.

I view tank destroyers as a subclass of tank that has its own special characteristics as defined in the special rules. It's still a tank because of the symbol on the counter; if it weren't, we'd come up with a different symbol like that for armored cars and APCs.

Not that my concurrence adds anything to Upintheattic's authoritative response, but "what he said."

I do like the Winter Soldier's rule for dealing with fields in Winter scenarios: to wit, "treat fields as clear terrain except that the movement costs remain per the Terrain Effects Chart ..." I'd like to make this retroactive to ER, but then again, the scenarios were developed within that game presuming fields as LT.
07-09-2012, 08:27 AM,
(07-09-2012, 04:49 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
Quote:I believe visibility is two hexes in this scenario rather than one because snow on the ground reflects moonlight etc. and thus increases visibility. But I'd still follow the shading on the turn-record track to determine what's a Night turn unless special rules said otherwise.

Not that my concurrence adds anything to Upintheattic's authoritative response, but "what he said."

I do like the Winter Soldier's rule for dealing with fields in Winter scenarios: to wit, "treat fields as clear terrain except that the movement costs remain per the Terrain Effects Chart ..." I'd like to make this retroactive to ER, but then again, the scenarios were developed within that game presuming fields as LT.

Mike designed the ER maps specifically to fit the scenarios in ER, so I have to assume he intended the fields to be there.
07-10-2012, 12:15 AM,
And of course, if you have them, use the snow covered maps. Absolutely gorgeous.