Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate History Gaming.
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM by larry marak.)
Alternate History Gaming.
Avalanche has been a major publisher of alternate history board games for over a decade, from the release of U.S.Navy Plan Orange for their naval system through Hopeless but not Serious and Iron Wolves for PanzerGrenadier. Lets not forget Confederate and Byzantine forces for use in J.P.'s Third Reich:-)

What Alt History games do you enjoy and what would you like to see from Avalanche in that area?
06-28-2012, 11:28 AM,
RE: Alternate History Gaming.
I'm cool in general to alternate history, though I enjoy sci-fi which is fundamentally the same thing (invented at the designer's discretion).

Alt-Hist games that are based on actual battle plans which were never executed have the most appeal for me. An excellent example - perhaps the best - of this would be S&T #45: Operation Olympic which is, of course, based on the actual Operation Olympic, for which quite detailed historical documents exist for both sides.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-28-2012, 03:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM by vince hughes.)
Can not stand alternative history games at all

EXCEPT

I adored GDW's Third World War Series !
(masses of counters, nationalities, colour, decent maps and an excellent air war system)

I think this may have been because I was a soldier in BAOR at the time of purchase and must have been my only possible outlet to getting at the Russkies :-)
06-28-2012, 09:17 PM,
I would love to see a ground campaign for Plan Crimson or Plan Red. Could be linked into the naval campaigns available for one massive campaign played out at a tactical level. Thoughts?
06-28-2012, 10:08 PM,
(06-28-2012, 09:17 PM)beast013 Wrote: I would love to see a ground campaign for Plan Crimson or Plan Red. Could be linked into the naval campaigns available for one massive campaign played out at a tactical level. Thoughts?

A better one would be one that links the Norway campaign with SWWAS Bismark.
06-28-2012, 11:45 PM,
Beast, I can sure see the scenarios, especially if each pack came with a unique new board for the PG system. Once again, this calls for combat in built up areas, (port cities) a weakness so far of the PG system.

When I read about Dr. B.'s PanzerGrenadier: Princely Armies (a scenario set for Indian princely contingents versus the Axis in North Africa and Burma) the first thing I thought of was the first PG set for the Second Great War at Sea series, in which Tsarist Russia launches an invasion of German Poland and Austro_Hungarian Galicia in 1938.
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM,
Norway would also be very cool. Again, merging of the PG system with SWWAS seems like a natural path for APL to pursue with regards to campaign settings.

(06-28-2012, 10:08 PM)campsawyer Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 09:17 PM)beast013 Wrote: I would love to see a ground campaign for Plan Crimson or Plan Red. Could be linked into the naval campaigns available for one massive campaign played out at a tactical level. Thoughts?

A better one would be one that links the Norway campaign with SWWAS Bismark.
06-30-2012, 05:37 AM,
Never listed my favorite Alt-History titles: Jacksonville, Beaches of Doom! (Jagdpanther publications, an operational level game based on SPI's Invasion America), Black Gold, Texas Tea (XTR), U.S. Navy Plans Orange, Black, and Red, and MBT (avalon hill, the panzer system currently being reworked by GMT).
07-01-2012, 12:17 AM,
I like Mark Walker's WWIII games, especially Dawn's Early Light and LnL Heroes of the Gap. Not much for the storyline behind it though, I just like using the weapons that were around back when I was in the service.
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM,
I'm not a general fan of Alt Hist games, but I agree that the World at War series from LNLP has my interest. On the other side of that publisher's coin, the Nations at War game, Nuklear Winter '68. In many ways, it actually 'fixed' what I felt was wrong with the White Star Rising!

I just started a game on my wargaming site, called Brenken Outpost.

I just bought the Pre-order of the expansion, Heart of Darkness
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

http://www.militarywargaming.com