Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Rules] 4th Edition rules are up
06-11-2014, 07:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 07:11 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
RE: 4th Edition rules are up
I am somewhat concerned on how differently 'An Army at Dawn' will pan out compared to the older Desert War games in regards to hill terrain and the other changes go. It may be the first actual 4th edition game released. Unless of course 'Burning Tigers makes it out first but that has been in design or development for quite some time so maybe it will be a hybrid game? Oh, and don't worry Vince, I don't plan on changing anything in our matches anytime soon; we'll just keep on as we have been! Smile
06-11-2014, 09:18 AM,
Lies, damned lies, and statistics, Vince!

It's too early to tell whether I like the new hill rules or not. It will certainly change my approach how I set up units, especially when facing those long-range powerful German tanks.

Same thing with field hexes no longer blocking line of sight; too early to tell. I will think twice before setting an entrenchment in a field hex but maybe this will force a more historical path.

We already use your non-standard hill rules in our matches Vince, so I would not worry too much about trying to find a common ground.
06-11-2014, 11:14 AM,
(06-11-2014, 07:11 AM)Brett Nicholson Wrote: I am somewhat concerned on how differently 'An Army at Dawn' will pan out compared to the older Desert War games in regards to hill terrain and the other changes go. It may be the first actual 4th edition game released. Unless of course 'Burning Tigers makes it out first but that has been in design or development for quite some time so maybe it will be a hybrid game? Oh, and don't worry Vince, I don't plan on changing anything in our matches anytime soon; we'll just keep on as we have been! Smile

With regard to the new games to appear in the near future, I don't believe any were designed with the 4th edition rules in mind. Most likely they will be included but the scenarios probably not thought through, let alone played using them. It will be interesting to see some of the AAR's when people start to use them.
06-11-2014, 11:25 AM,
(06-11-2014, 09:18 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Lies, damned lies, and statistics, Vince!

It's too early to tell whether I like the new hill rules or not. It will certainly change my approach how I set up units, especially when facing those long-range powerful German tanks.

We already use your non-standard hill rules in our matches Vince, so I would not worry too much about trying to find a common ground.

Reverse slope?

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with Vince's rules. Smile
06-11-2014, 12:55 PM,
Quote:Reverse slope?

With the "1/2 the distance" rule, reverse slopes will depend on how far away from the slope both the firer and target are.
06-11-2014, 05:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM by vince hughes.)
(06-11-2014, 11:25 AM)richvalle Wrote:
(06-11-2014, 09:18 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Lies, damned lies, and statistics, Vince!

Reverse slope?

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with Vince's rules. Smile

I don't use reverse slopes rules. I was merely giving a reason for the hills being limiting terrain at the outset. However, if you want hills with slopes in different directions I think PeterL has devised a set of rules that he uses with his circle of players. (Peter, apologies if this is not correct).

My only change to the hill rules is that they are not limiting IF you are on the SAME hill and either level or higher than the enemy you are trying to spot. However, I don't use that rule in BN scenarios.
06-11-2014, 09:00 PM,
Sorry Vince, I meant reverse slope as a tactic, not a rule. Setup on the other side of the hill so when the long range tanks crest the hill at least yours will be in range.

I like your rule!

rv
06-12-2014, 11:22 PM,
Finally after making us wait for days, part 2 of the optional rules.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/4EOptionals2.php
06-12-2014, 11:39 PM,
Meet my nephew:
[Image: funny-monkey-11.jpg]

It seems there is a separate overrun rule.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-12-2014, 11:49 PM,
I wasn't going to say anything. Smile

I suspect you aren't going to like it.