Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Rules] 4th Edition rules are up
07-01-2014, 12:04 AM,
RE: 4th Edition rules are up
I suspect I'll be trying to play both versions. That should be interesting.
07-01-2014, 01:36 AM,
I'm looking forward to playing PG scenario 1 (the order of battle that would not die...Avalanche has printed 4! different orders of battle for this scenario) with the full 4th rules to see how it changes play. May well use hidden set-up for soviet units in the town, as well as drumfire bombardment for the defender (Soviets) and then give the German's one or two player character officers (from Campaigns and Commanders) since the Germans always seem to lose this scenario. Need the charts and the complete optional rules package (only part of it has been released, and only 1 of the charts so far.)

Will probably have to wait till Pusan is shipping to received complete rules packages in Pusan and BT.
07-01-2014, 02:06 AM,
I thought both parts of the optional rules have been released?
07-01-2014, 02:37 AM,
I put together a single file from the 2 parts at AP, will go through and do the paragraph numbering to match the new rule book. Hope to have this together before the weekend.

Only question I'm having seems to be similar to others, that centered on the hills. If I read it right, the new edition makes hills more realistic, which I like, having some dead space, hexes on the hills and at ground level where there is no visibility because of reverse slope effect. Don't know if I'm reading into it from all the ASL years of play or if I'm reading it right. That was one of the things I found odd in 3rd edition, that there didn't seem to be any way to take advantage of reverse slope cover. As I learn PG, I have had to unlearn lots of other stuff. Smile Anyway, this doesn't seem to be completely answered in the TEC. As more folks get their stuff, maybe somebody can help sort that out.

Tom Oxley
07-01-2014, 02:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014, 09:42 AM by larry marak.)
I'm not sure, only Tlangston and Jay Townsend can tell us what constitutes a complete 4th edition rules package.

I should have called them special rules, however AVP has been calling them special optional rules in their daily content. I believe these are part of an additional rules package included in 4th edition sets.

Edit...apparently the optional rules have been completely printed in Daily content.
07-01-2014, 02:53 AM,
I made a single Word file of the optional's too. I offered to post it on Consimworld and Avalanche said not too.
07-01-2014, 02:54 AM,
(07-01-2014, 02:37 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: I put together a single file from the 2 parts at AP, will go through and do the paragraph numbering to match the new rule book. Hope to have this together before the weekend.

Only question I'm having seems to be similar to others, that centered on the hills. If I read it right, the new edition makes hills more realistic, which I like, having some dead space, hexes on the hills and at ground level where there is no visibility because of reverse slope effect. Don't know if I'm reading into it from all the ASL years of play or if I'm reading it right. That was one of the things I found odd in 3rd edition, that there didn't seem to be any way to take advantage of reverse slope cover. As I learn PG, I have had to unlearn lots of other stuff. Smile Anyway, this doesn't seem to be completely answered in the TEC. As more folks get their stuff, maybe somebody can help sort that out.

Tom Oxley

Tom,

With the 4th edition you still dont have complete reverse slopes like some other games. All that has been added is that hills by themselves are not limiting terrain and a 1/2 the distance for cover by intervening limiting terrain. My undrrstanding of reverse slopes would require map changes to show which way slopes are going. Best way that PG simulates this is to be behind two slope hexes.
07-01-2014, 02:59 AM,
Ah, thanks. I was thinking (maybe that's the problem) that the second hex back from a slope would be dead space from ground level and vice versa but wasn't sure if I was just reading into it or not. Apparently I am. I'm working on recruiting a few other local gamers to give PG a try, gave them the link so they can download and read rules and get some face to face play in. I did a lot better when I had regular players around for ASL some years ago, so it will certainly help my understanding of PG.
07-01-2014, 04:09 AM,
(07-01-2014, 02:59 AM)thomaso827 Wrote: Ah, thanks. I was thinking (maybe that's the problem) that the second hex back from a slope would be dead space from ground level and vice versa but wasn't sure if I was just reading into it or not. Apparently I am. I'm working on recruiting a few other local gamers to give PG a try, gave them the link so they can download and read rules and get some face to face play in. I did a lot better when I had regular players around for ASL some years ago, so it will certainly help my understanding of PG.

Tom,

Ftf is a better guide to playing any game but especially PG given the rules issues. Best of luck withit for you.
07-01-2014, 07:19 AM,
(07-01-2014, 04:09 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Tom,

Ftf is a better guide to playing any game but especially PG given the rules issues. Best of luck withit for you.

Undecided