Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition rules: Air attacks just got deadlier!
06-06-2014, 09:59 PM,
4th Edition rules: Air attacks just got deadlier!
I just visited the AP website and skimmed over the 4th edition rules there. Now aircraft DO get the +2 adjacent hex DF modifier AND, on an X result, if there are any open-topped AFVs in the hex the firing player may select the AFV/APC to take the step loss AND, on a 2X or 3X result the firing player may choose one of the step losses from an AFV of any type; open or closed-top. This may be difficult to adjust to and honestly don't know how I feel about it; one part horror, one part euphoria. This may be a hard transition to make with shared plays depending on which player may or may not recieve aircraft in a scenario. Other than that the 4th edition rules are looking pretty good and glad that they have been released to the general public at the AP site. Oddly enough there is no mention of the (+1) opportunity fire only affecting personnel units so maybe that was an optional rule and a typo on the 4th edition DF table.
06-06-2014, 10:05 PM,
RE: 4th Edition rules: Air attacks just got deadlier!
I've been playing a lot of Kursk and Normandy scenarios over the past several months and with that change (unnoticed by me earlier) the side with the air edge just got stronger. I don't mind it really as air superiority seemed of little impact except for the tank busters. So now those "24" factor Thunderbolts and Typhoons (and Stukas) will roll on the top column and instead of morale problems the targets may have casualty problems.

I'll have to play that out some to see what it feels like.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-06-2014, 10:16 PM,
I'm in no way complaining about it but it will change a lot! I will probably continue to play the remainder my 3rd edition games with 3rd edtion rules but maybe try it out in a replay with a very short scenario to see how much it may affect the outcome. Of course once I get a hold of an actual 4th edtion designed game then I will definitely make the transition -but wow! What a difference! as most of the time in the past air-strikes can be very disappointing for not achieving much other than a spent activation or an occasional morale check.
06-06-2014, 10:34 PM,
This aircraft rule has been a SSR in many games. Now that it is the core rules early war Stuka's will now get to destroy tanks. But many of the other aircraft have low firepower so it would be tougher. I am not really liking the +2 for adjacent, this had been clarified a couple of years ago.

Another point that has been left open is crossfire. In the rules, they only say that the second shot must be through a non-hexspine hex and it is illustrated in the example. But in the example it the shots are reversed, it would be considered ok.

Another point that is missing are indicators for new/changes to the rules. There was suppose to be some sort of indicators that these were new or changed rules, but this looks like it was dropped in final production.

On the plus side AFV's and Tanks are defined a little better in the definitions. More to come after the full read of the document.