Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Village hexes/Guadalcanal
05-12-2014, 11:41 PM,
Village hexes/Guadalcanal
A brief question concerning village hexes, are they treated as town hexes for all purposes? The 'Guadalcanal' scenario book or map legend doesn't define them. 'Guadalcanal' is the only Pacific theater PG game I own but perhaps villages are covered in other games? Some 'Guadalcanal' scenarios have objective hexes listed as villages for VC purposes but there is no village artwork on the map. Just curious if they are limiting terrain or provide defensive bonuses or if they are just artwork. I would guess that they wouldn't provide as much cover as a town hex as likely buildings (or bamboo huts) are not as concentrated or numerous as a proper town hex. I'm sure they are covered in more depth in other Pacific theater games or expansions but don't have access to any of those as of yet.
05-13-2014, 01:22 AM,
RE: Village hexes/Guadalcanal
In Kokoda Trail villages are limiting terrain and block LoS. 1 MP to enter when not moving along a trial is 1 for Foot, 1 for mechanized. For combat a unit in a village s considered to be dug in and it gets that status as soon as it moves into the hex (it does not have to go through the digging in procedure).

I don't know of anything that retro-fitted these rules to Guadalcanal.
05-13-2014, 01:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 01:42 AM by Brett Nicholson.)
(05-13-2014, 01:22 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: In Kokoda Trail villages are limiting terrain and block LoS. 1 MP to enter when not moving along a trial is 1 for Foot, 1 for mechanized. For combat a unit in a village s considered to be dug in and it gets that status as soon as it moves into the hex (it does not have to go through the digging in procedure).

I don't know of anything that retro-fitted these rules to Guadalcanal.

Thanks! That clears it up enough. So first fire and (-1) defense modifier for villages? Hope to add 'Kokoda' to the collection soon.
05-13-2014, 01:58 AM,
Brett,

As Kokoda came way after Guad, I'm not sure that would be the same for that box set.

Like Fred said in his last line, there seems to be no mention of this being a retro-fit for Guad. Might be best until a Guad Vet turns up here with more info ?
05-13-2014, 03:15 AM,
With both Kokoda and Saipan using the same village rules, I would see no problem retrofitting to Guadalcanal. This has already been done with light woods in other games. But as always check with you opponent first.
05-13-2014, 04:17 AM,
I'll go with the Kokoda/Saipan ruling as it seems reasonable except for maybe the first-fire advantage that being dug-in would enable, as even towns don't provide that. I would suspect that a village would provide a (-1) and block LOS but not be as protective as a town with a (-2) modifier. In no case would I treat it the same as a clear hex. It's not an issue with tomorrow's 'Guadalcanal' ftf match as there are no villages in the 'Zuma Battalion' scenario. Also curious, while on the subject, if in Kokoda or Saipan rules whether a village would give the recovery bonus that towns do?
05-13-2014, 05:01 AM,
No recovery bonus.
05-13-2014, 06:17 AM,
(05-13-2014, 05:01 AM)campsawyer Wrote: No recovery bonus.

Agree.