Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amphibious vehicles
05-11-2014, 11:55 AM,
Amphibious vehicles
Few questions on amphibious vehicles,

Amphibious vehicle can enter swamps but there is no MP cost for this in Saipan. It reference the old TEC where vehicles are prohibited. Any idea on the cost?

Related to this, there is the land and water MP's which will apply for swamp and marshes?

Last can Lvt-4 load/unload in swamp and marsh hexes?

Thanks in advance.
05-11-2014, 12:06 PM,
RE: Amphibious vehicles
>Amphibious vehicle can enter swamps but there is no MP cost for this in Saipan. It reference the old TEC where vehicles are prohibited. Any idea on the cost?

>Related to this, there is the land and water MP's which will apply for swamp and marshes?

I would use the water movement rate printed on the counter.

>Last can Lvt-4 load/unload in swamp and marsh hexes?

Movement cost for Foot unit is 2 for Marsh and 3 foot swamp, so they can unload there but I would want to.
05-11-2014, 12:16 PM,
(05-11-2014, 12:06 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: >Amphibious vehicle can enter swamps but there is no MP cost for this in Saipan. It reference the old TEC where vehicles are prohibited. Any idea on the cost?

>Related to this, there is the land and water MP's which will apply for swamp and marshes?

I would use the water movement rate printed on the counter.

>Last can Lvt-4 load/unload in swamp and marsh hexes?

Movement cost for Foot unit is 2 for Marsh and 3 foot swamp, so they can unload there but I would want to.

Jay,

What about the MP cost for swamps for amphibious vehicles?

For the marsh/swamp it is more for loading so the unit can get some cover.
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM by JayTownsend.)
>What about the MP cost for swamps for amphibious vehicles?

Alan, I would still use water movement rates on the counter.
05-11-2014, 08:14 PM,
(05-11-2014, 01:37 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: >What about the MP cost for swamps for amphibious vehicles?

Alan, I would still use water movement rates on the counter.

Jay, I am asking about the MP cost. Currently thrre idnt anyting. Check the TEC.
05-11-2014, 10:59 PM,
You would use 1/3 of the total movement points for a unit with a 7/3 movement factor. Meaning something upwards of 2 MPs (call it 3 unless you plan more movement in swamps this turn) if you switch back to land movement in the same activation.
No "minor" country left behind...
05-12-2014, 01:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 01:41 AM by JayTownsend.)
For amphibious vehicles I always treated swamp movement the same as Lake and Ocean costing 1 MP per hex.

But maybe Matt's view is more realistic. But mine simplified things.
05-12-2014, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 03:53 AM by campsawyer.)
(05-11-2014, 10:59 PM)Matt W Wrote: You would use 1/3 of the total movement points for a unit with a 7/3 movement factor. Meaning something upwards of 2 MPs (call it 3 unless you plan more movement in swamps this turn) if you switch back to land movement in the same activation.

Thsnks Matt. This is why I dislike split movement for water and land. I would rather have one factor and appropriate MP costs.

Let me add another thought, Matt specifed switching between land and water MPs and doing a calculation for remaining points. I will admit I had been playing land or water was a either/or choice but not both in the same activation. How have others been doing it?
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM,
Dang, I finally figured out what Matt and Alan were talking about, land/water or water/land conversions in the same movement. Smile

Ok for example, a Japanese Type 2 amphibious tank has a 9/3 movement, 9 for land and 3 for water. Say I move two water/Ocean hexes for 1 MP each of the 3 water MPs I have on the counter, then hit the beach hex having 1 water movement point left, converting back to land movement, 1 water movement point converts to 3 land movement points on this counter and beach hexes cost 3 MPs. So the Type 2 tank could travel 2 ocean hexes and one beach hex all on the same turn. I hope I communicated that well enough to be understood?
Smile
05-12-2014, 08:25 PM,
Jay,

Ok, you are saying that a unit can move on both land and water on the same activation, if you do this conversion. Your example has a 3 to 1 ratio, while a LVT4 will have a 2 1/3 to 1 ratio for water to land movement.

This leads back to a point about swamps and marshes MP costs and let me see if I understand. With a prior post you had said you envisioned swamps and marshes to have MP costs the same as water for amphibious units. So a LVT4 could move 1 water MP into a marsh, then move onto a light jungle hex to a total of 4 1/3 MPs. Is this what you had envisioned for this movement?