Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combat Movement
05-11-2014, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 12:05 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: Combat Movement
Peter,

One difference I can tell you about 4th ed and MG is this.

MG was written and produced before any consultation with the heavy users of PG here. So they were released as seen. The 4th ed had two facets. First the addressing of regularly muddled issues from 3rd ed. Here, contentious or ill explained rules were thrashed out so that in the printing of the 4th ed there would be little room for misinterpretation. Still, that said, new issues have arisen from the 3rd set since that time on subjects such as Fred's latest question. I'd never come across that as an issue and I can't remember that one being tackled. But if there is somebody like Fred asking the question, then no doubt it has been asked elsewhere before. Maybe it was addressed but I don't remember.

The second facet was the 'chrome'. John had ideas where he would like to take the game. Now this is from my own stance and I DO NOT speak for others. Everybody had their own view. There were some of John's ideas I liked and others I didn't. These rules & ideas were really thrashed out. Some, and I mean only some were added. Others were put in as optionals if they met a degree of resistance backed up by healthy reasoning and debate. And yet more were binned too where nobody liked them or believed them to not fit in the PG mould. After all that, the final draft was to be viewed by MB. What he has kept, added or changed I have not the foggiest as I am not privvy to that information.

All in all, the 4th ed should be a less contentious volume in older areas and add more 'optionals' in others. If it isn't, I'd be truly disappointed. One thing is for sure. When you plan to play a new opponent, the optionals will have to be agreed beforehand.

Having written all this, I have not seen a 'Near Publication' rendering. I saw a very early version and liked it. But we will have to see what the final production brings. So when I open the Kursk North Flank Box (refuse to use the new title cos' it ain't gonna happen LOL), I will be grabbing the rule book probably before the boards, pieces and scenario book to see what the final iteration of 4th ed. wrought.

Hope this goes some way to allaying doubts, but only when we actually see them will those doubts be erased or dare I say PROVED !!

Messages In This Thread
Combat Movement - by Blackcloud6 - 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by plloyd1010 - 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: Combat Movement - by Blackcloud6 - 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM
RE: Combat Movement - by zaarin7 - 05-10-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: Combat Movement - by plloyd1010 - 05-10-2014, 11:29 PM
RE: Combat Movement - by vince hughes - 05-11-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by joe_oppenheimer - 05-11-2014, 07:40 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by plloyd1010 - 05-11-2014, 07:51 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by vince hughes - 05-11-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by zaarin7 - 05-11-2014, 09:36 AM
RE: Combat Movement - by hawkeyeted - 05-17-2014, 05:57 AM