Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] [12.41] Assault Column Modifiers
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM,
[12.41] Assault Column Modifiers
One of the column modifiers for the assault table states that a defender gets a +1 column shift on the first assault turn if the hex is higher elevation. My question is - if the assaulting unit is in a hex with an elevation change and the assaulted hex is completely "on the hill", does this modifier apply or is the assaulting unit considered "on the hill" as well?
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM,
RE: [12.41] Assault Column Modifiers
Although I cannot quote a rule in support of this position, I believe a hex with a contour line running through it is considered to be at the higher of the two elevations present. In this case, the defender in your example would not receive the bonus.

Feel free to slap the map artist who put contour lines through the middle of hexes rather than along their edges! Wink
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM,
(06-27-2012, 01:23 PM)Shad Wrote: Although I cannot quote a rule in support of this position, I believe a hex with a contour line running through it is considered to be at the higher of the two elevations present. In this case, the defender in your example would not receive the bonus.

Feel free to slap the map artist who put contour lines through the middle of hexes rather than along their edges! Wink

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that was the case but, like you, I could not find the rule that states it. I guess it would only apply in the case where a unit or units were completely off the hill assaulting units in an elevation change hex.
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM,
(06-27-2012, 01:31 PM)tlangston28 Wrote: [quote='Shad' pid='826' dateline='1340767403']

I guess it would only apply in the case where a unit or units were completely off the hill assaulting units in an elevation change hex.

That's correct. The rule that applies here is rule 8.23, which states that a hex contains limiting terrain if the terrain drawing fills more than one quarter of the hex. So if a hill line runs through a hex and the hill terrain in the hex fills up 25% or more of the hex, the hex is considered to be a hill hex and thus at a higher elevation than any non-hill hexes adjacent to it. The same applies to 40-meter, 60-meter, and 80-meter hill lines running through hill hexes; if a 40-meter hill line runs through a hill hex and the 40-meter terrain fills more than 25% of the hex, the hex is at 40-meter elevation and thus at a higher elevation than any 20-meter hill hexes adjacent to it.

-- Doug